Saturday, November 19 – 1906
This ground, at Valley Parade, Bradford, was the home of the old Manningham Rugby Club, out of the ashes of which the Bradford City Association Club was formed in 1902. The Manningham Club constructed the ground many years ago, after they had been playing on a field in Manningham, now the site of the Bradford elementary schools.
Since the Bradford City Club took possession, the ground has been considerably extended, so that now it provides accommodation for about 25,000 spectators.
More extensions would, no doubt, have been carried out, but for the fact that the freehold, unfortunately, does not belong to the club. The owners are the Midland Railway Company.
The record “gate” for the Valley Parade ground was on the occasion of the League International match between England and Ireland, during the Bradford City Club’s first season. There was then an attendance of 23,000 spectators, realising receipts amounting to over £500.
(Yorkshire Evening Post, 10-11-1906)