Saturday, November 24 – 1906
The playing area of the Hull City Football Club Ground, opened on March 24th last, is of “international” size, viz., 75 yards by 110 yards, with a 17ft margin on the sides. The grand stand, which is 186 ft. in length, will accommodate quite 2,000 people, and underneath are retiring rooms for players and officials.
There is a slope all round the playing area, commencing some 18 inches below the level of “the pitch,” and rising to a height where the terracing is of 8ft. The terracing is covered at the northern end of the ground, and nearly half-way round on the side facing the grand stand, affording shelter for 6,000 people.
It is estimated that the capacity of the ground will not be taxed until 28,000 people have assembled. The largest “gate” has yet been recorded at Anlaby Road, was on October 27th last, when 9,000 people paid for admission to the Hull City v West Bromwich Albion match, the receipts reaching nearly £320. It was computed that some 11,000 spectators were present.
The Hull Cricket Club and the North-Eastern Railway Company are the joint owners of the land. The laying out and draining of the ground necessitated an outlay of £300, and the total cost of the stands and other appointments £2,000. The turf is always in excellent condition, and, despite the recent bad weather, is in as good condition as at the beginning of the season.
(Yorkshire Evening Post, 24-11-1906)