December 1, 1906
Few among the thousands of habitues of the Liverpool Football Ground are aware of the fact that the enormous staff which bears the red flag of the club has historic associations. This flagstaff was formerly one of the masts of the old Royal yacht Alexandra, which was once much used by the Royal Family. It was the Alexandra which took the present King and Queen, then Prince and Princess of Wales, to Dublin on their first visit to Ireland so long ago as 1864.
The Football Club acquired the mast through a captain now retired and living in the neighbourhood of the club’s headquarters. The staff is a very high one, and a great deal of care had to be exercised in placing it in position. The flag it bears is of crimson colour, with a figure of the “Liver bird”, so called.
The Kop in the old days.
The flagpole still is there today.
The flagpole was always believed to be from the Great Eastern ship, but the article say it was from the Royal Yacht Alexandra, picture below.
(Sheffield Evening Telegraph: December 1, 1906)