March 21, 1907
The story of how Joe Hewitt, the centre forward of the Liverpool Football Club, attempted to save his next-door neighbour, Sarah Ann Sweeney from being burnt to death was told in the Liverpool Coroner’s Court.
Mrs. Sweeney, who lived at 12 Finchley Road, Anfield, and who had recently been unwell, was getting out of bed when her nigh-dress caught fire. Rather than imperil the baby, which was still in bed, the mother rushed downstairs and into Hewitt’s house. Hewitt managed at length to put out the flames, but Mrs. Sweeney died from the shock on Monday. “Accidental death” was the verdict.
(Dundee Courier: March 21, 1907)