Everton v Liverpool 0-0 (League match: March 29, 1907)

March 29, 1907
Key note: “Within the limits of the League no finer holiday attraction could be wished than the meeting of Everton and Liverpool. This was evident enough from the appearance of the Goodison Park ground yesterday. There were probably 50,000 people present, and more were waiting to get in at three o’clock, the time of the kick off. In the glorious weather that prevailed the scene was one of delight the eye of any football enthusiast. The playing pitch was in perfect order, and surrounding this parallelogram of green were massed half a hundred thousand of people, the mere numbers making an impressive spectacle. It only wanted the presence of the players to make the scene complete, and when the teams turned out, Liverpool in red jerseys, and Everton in blue, the sight was a pretty a one as a sporting event could be expected to furnish. Several circumstances combined to give interest to the contest, in addition to the inevitable rivalry of local eleven’s, Everton are not only the cup-holders and finalists for a second year, but they were challenging the position, of Newcastle as leaders of the League, while Liverpool, themselves the League champions, last week defeated the present League leaders, Newcastle United. The vast crowd was controlled by a mere handful of policemen within the enclosure, although there were several mounted men on duty in the adjoining streets. There was no disorder during the first half, and there were the usual humorous incidents to a big gathering. Anxious spectators clambered on the roofs of some of the stands to the imminent danger of the necks. A diversion was caused when a kite fell across the ground, and the players, who were kicking the ball about had to gather up the string. All went well during the first half, but at the interval there was an ominous movement in the crowd near the town goal. Then the spectators burst through onto the playing pitch, first by couples, and then in scores and hundreds. The police were helpless in keeping them back and soon the playing pitch was encroached upon, and scores ran across the pitch to the far side. Someone produced a football, and an impromptu game was played. It looked as if the match could not continue, when in came half a dozen mounted policemen, and these soon forced the encroaching crowd beyond the touch line with the result that after an interval of fifteen minutes the second half was resumed, and continued without interruption to the close.”
(Liverpool Courier: March 30, 1907)

Match: Football League, First Division, at Goodison Park, kick-off: 15:00.
Everton – Liverpool 0-0 (0-0).
Attendance: 47,429; gate receipt: £1,460.
Referee: Mr. Fred Kirkham; linesmen: Messrs.: C.W. Gillett and R. Rowley.
Everton (2-3-5): William Scott, William Balmer, Bob Balmer, Harry Makepeace, Jack Taylor (C), Walter Abbott, Jack Sharp, Jimmy Settle, Sandy Young, George Wilson, Harold Hardman.
Liverpool (2-3-5): Sam Hardy, Percy Saul, Billy Dunlop, Maurice Parry, Alex Raisbeck (C), James Bradley, Arthur Goddard, Robert Robinson, Joe Hewitt, Sam Raybould, John Cox.

Match reports:
* Liverpool Courier: “Huge crowd at Goodison Park”;

Goodison Park (Yorkshire Evening Post: December 29, 1906).
1906 Goodison Park

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.