Alarming experience for Messina Allman


January 6, 1908
Arthur Leonard and Messina Allman, of Plymouth Argyle, had an alarming experience at the team’s headquarters at Swindon on Saturday morning. The bedroom jointly occupied by the players was heated with a charcoal fire, and they were overcome by fumes arising therefrom. Allman, realising that knocked.

Jimmy McCormick, who is a light sleeper went to ascertain the cause, and he was startled to find Allman outstretched in the passage. He shouted for assistance, and Mr. J. Jacques, director, aroused George Rowlands, the trainer, whilst Charles Clark also arrived on the scene. Together they worked assiduously to restore animation, and after several minutes Allman was brought round. He inquired after Leonard, and McCormick dashed into the bedroom and found that player on the floor, cold and unconscious. McCormick carried him out of the room, and artificial methods were again resorted to. A doctor attended both players, and later in the morning the medical gentleman was able to state that the men were out of danger.
(Source: Liverpool Echo: January 6, 1908)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.