Liverpool Reserves goes down at Atherton

October 17, 1908
Atherton v Liverpool Reserves.
Hopes were entertained at Atherton this afternoon that the home club would gladden the hearts of their supporters with a victory, the fact that Liverpool Reserves have not so far made a great show in Combination matches inspiring the belief that Atherton would be able to register their first win of the season. Several alterations had again been made in the home team with a view of bringing it up to concert pitch.

Atherton: Chorley, Martinscroft, Thomasson, Gough, Wilson, Farrington, Acton, Ben Tonge, Brogden, Joe Horrocks, Mitchell.
Liverpool Reserves: Donald Sloan, George Latham, Billy Dunlop, Robert Robinson, Ernest Peake, Sam Hignett, William Hunter, Messina Allman, Fred Smith, Bertram Goode, Sam Bowyer.

Atherton opened in promising style, a pretty combined movement carrying them into the Liverpool goal immediately. A beautifully timed pass from Horrocks gave Brogden an opening, and he was only inches wide with a rasping shot. Mitchell next centred from the touch line, and though Robinson headed clear, the Atherton outside left got possession again, and drove the ball right across the goal mouth.

Tonge made a splendid attempt to turn it into the net, his shot grazing the upright. Sloan afterwards saved from Acton, and following another sharp attack by the home side, Brogden put the ball over the bar. The visitors then made an incursion, and Chorley kept out a low shot from Smith. Atherton returned to the attack immediately and Tonge thrice missed the target by inches only, whilst Sloan brought off clever saves from Brogden and Acton.

Up to this point Atherton had been all over their opponents, and Liverpool were fortunate not to have had some points chalked up against them. Now and then Liverpool raised the siege, and threatened the home goal, Allman, on one occasion, almost scoring from a breakaway. Chorley was also tested by Smith and Allman.

Towards the interval Atherton attacked vigorously, and Sloan brought off a wonderful save from Horrocks, a corner resulting. During another bombardment of the Liverpool goal, Latham handled in the penalty area. Martinscroft scored at the second attempt.

Half-time: Atherton 1, Liverpool 0.

Play was even throughout the second half. Martinscroft checked a dangerous invasion immediately after the restart, and at the opposite end Brogden shot into Sloan’s hands when favourably placed. Robinson extricated his side from a dangerous situation just afterwards. In the closing stages Dunlop, by using his hands turned a centre from Mitchell outside the post, but the referee ignored the appeal for penalty, and ordered a goal kick.

Final: Atherton 1, Liverpool 0.
(Cricket and Football Field: October 17, 1908)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.