Lancashire Senior Cup Semi-Final.

November 24, 1908
Our great local clubs, Everton and Liverpool, were drawn together in the semi-final of the Lancashire Cup Competition. The officials of the two clubs tossed for choice of grounds. The Everton secretary was successful, and the game was played at Goodison Park yesterday afternoon.

The result was that Liverpool qualified for the final by two goals to nil. On the run of the play there was to other ending possible than a triumph for the Anfield Road organisation. But, after all, there was nothing to boast about in a full Liverpool League team, with two exceptions, vanquishing what was really an Everton reserve eleven.

No doubt Everton, in their sensational game with Blackburn Rovers, had a quite unusual number of players more or less crippled. These were accidents which could not be helped, and nobody could have been more disappointed than the Everton directors themselves by the fact that they were only in a position to play three members of the team which figured against the Rovers. This in itself robbed the match of whatever interest it might otherwise have presented, for at all tomes local rivalry is aroused when our two local teams are seen in opposition at full strength. Such was not the case yesterday, and therefore, as has already been indicated, the fixture did not command the attention which otherwise would have been the case.

The game itself calls for little in the nature of serious comment. Liverpool made their position secure in the first half of the game. During this period they gave an exhibition of delightful football, that is when an opposition is not too fertile or resourceful. Goode, the reserve inside right of Liverpool scored a couple of fine goals, besides accomplishing a lot of really clever work.

After the change of ends, the Everton shaped more creditably, but there was never any real danger of the Reds’ losing their lead, which they kept to the finish without much trouble.

As for the players, Goode was one of the most conspicuous men on the field, apart from his goal scoring capabilities, while Harrop played a great game at centre half-back, Settle was over-weighted by Cox, who, however, rarely drove his advantage home, and the best man in the half-back line of the losing side was Adamson. Young and Coleman gave occasional glimpses of their real form, but taken all round the Everton attack was only occasionally deadly. Berry shaped well in goal, and could not be held responsible for either point, which counted. Teams: –

Everton: Clarence Berry, Samuel Strettle, Bob Balmer, Daniel Rafferty, John Borthwick, Hugh Adamson, Harry Buck, Tim Coleman, Tom Jones, Sandy Young, Harry Dawson.
Liverpool: Sam Hardy, Tom Chorlton, Billy Dunlop, Maurice Parry, Jim Harrop, James Bradley, Arthur Goddard, Bertram Goode, Jack Parkinson, Joe Hewitt, John Cox.

Referee Mr. T. Campbell. The attendance was 8,000, and the gate receipts about £250.
(Liverpool Courier: November 24, 1908)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.