Liverpool v Everton 2-1 (Liverpool Cup Final: April 19, 1909)

April 19, 1909
Match: Liverpool Senior Cup, final, at Anfield.
Liverpool – Everton 2-1 (2-1).
Attendance: 12,000.
Liverpool (2-3-5): Sam Hardy; James Hughes, Robert Crawford; Robert Robinson, Alex Raisbeck (C), James Bradley; Arthur Goddard, Sam Bowyer, Joe Hewitt, Ronald Orr, Harold Uren.
Everton (2-3-5): William Scott; Robert Balmer, Jock Maconnachie; Val Harris, Jack Taylor, Harry Makepeace; Jack Sharp (C), Tim Coleman, Bert Freeman, Wattie White, Sandy Young.
The goals: 1-0 Bowyer (1 min), 1-1 White (8 min.), 2-1 Orr (11 min).

The annual contest for possession of the Liverpool Cup between Liverpool and Everton was played at Anfield last evening, and the Livers ran out winners of a fairly good game by 2 goals to 1. The Anfielders thus regain possession of the magnificent trophy, and the players no doubt will value the handsome medals. Last season Everton triumphed at Goodison Park, but prior to that the Liverpool club had won the cup for two or three seasons in succession.

Despite the fact that the season is so far advanced great interest was taken in the contest, and quite 12,000 spectators witnessed the game, so that the local association and the clubs will benefit considerably from the match. The players on both sides were keen on winning the medals was shown by the fast play which characterised the opening exchanges, but the high class of football was to maintained to the end, the sultry weather no doubt affecting the men.

Both teams were practically at full strength, and there was plenty to interest the crowd. Liverpool undoubtedly won the game in the first ten minutes, when they scored two goals, for Everton later or held the advantage in midfield, but their forwards failed to take advantage of the openings presented. This was especially noticeable in the second half, and at least on two occasions the Blues ought to have scored.

Right from the start the Livers went off with great dash, and Goddard ran up and centred finely for Bowyer to drive in a swift shot, and Balmer in attempting to stop the ball diverted it into the net. Thus Liverpool were a goal ahead in the first minute of play. It was hereabouts that the best football of the evening was shown, and within eleven minutes the three goals were scored. After Liverpool had opened with the point already mentioned, Everton became aggressive on the left, where Sandy Young (on the outside) and White were operating. Hardy saved a fast shot just at the foot of the post, and in the melee, Liverpool goal had a narrow escape. The danger was cleared but the Blues were soon back again, Freeman after a fine run, just being stopped by Bradley. However, Everton were soon on level terms, for Freeman passed out to Young, and he gave Hardy a warm handful. The ball came out to White, who lost no time in scoring for the Goodison club.

Only eight minutes had elapsed, and again Liverpool worked down and after Bradley had shot wide, Goddard centred to Orr, who beat Scott with a fine shot. After this play slackened down considerably, but Scott had to save a fine long shot from Orr, and again he cleared smartly from Hewitt. At the other end Freeman had a great chance, but he lifted the ball over, and a tremendous drive from Coleman missed the mark by inches. Liverpool were leading at the interval by two goals to one.

The second half was productive of a lot of loose play, the ball being too often in the air, and there was also numerous throws in from touch, which detracted from the play. Early on, however, Sharp got clean away, and he centred accurately, but Freeman and Coleman missed the ball as it glided across the mouth of the goal – a great chance. On another occasion Young centred, but the Everton forwards were unable to take advantage of the opportunity.

Play certainly fell off considerably in this half, and both sides missed chances. Hughes sustained an injury, and Raisbeck went right back, with Hewitt centre half and Hughes outside left. The latter once got away on his own, and ran half the length of the field to centre to Bowyer, but Scott saved the latter’s shot with his outstretched hand. The ball was banged in again, but Scott cleared. The closing stages were fought in a very dim light, but nothing more was scored, and Liverpool won by the odd goal in three.

The Reds deserved their victory, if it was only for the fact that they took advantage of their opportunities, whilst they also defended well. Raisbeck and Crawford were always prominent in defence, and Hewitt did excellently when he dropped back to centre half. Orr, always clever, was about the best forward. Although Goddard and Bowyer also did well. On the Everton side Scott was his usual self in goal, whilst Balmer and MaConnachie defended ably. Makepeace and Taylor were fine halves. The forwards were clever in midfield, but they undoubtedly missed chances of drawing level. Col Maclie presented the cup, and Mrs. Maclie distributed the medals.
(Liverpool Courier, 20-04-1909)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.