Liverpool Reserves v Everton Reserves 5-1 (Lancashire Combination)

Monday, April 26 – 1909
Reserves, Lancashire Combination, at Anfield.
Liverpool Reserves – Everton Reserves 5-1 (1-1).
Attendance: 8,000.
Liverpool Reserves (2-3-5): Donald Sloan; Alf West, Tom Rogers; Maurice Parry, George Latham, Sam Hignett; James Speakman, Bertram Goode, Jack Parkinson, Mike Griffin, Harold Uren.
Everton Reserves (2-3-5): Clarence Berry; William Stevenson, James Meunier; Daniel Rafferty, Robert Clifford, Hugh Adamson; Harry Buck, William Lacey, Thomas Jones, Sandy Young, Crews.
The goals: 0-1 Lacey, 1-1 Goode, 2-1 Parkinson, 3-1 Griffin, 4-1 Parkinson, 5-1 Speakman.

The final match at Anfield this season was invested with more than usual interest to the home side, as it decided who should be the runners up to Everton in the Combination table. It had also been set aside for the benefit of the popular Liverpool forward, Jack Parkinson. The ground was in a deplorable condition after the torrential rain of the afternoon, although happily the weather cleared just before the commencement.

Parkinson started, and Sloan was quickly called upon to save from Lacey. At the other end Uren centred well after having defeated Stevenson for possession, but the ball fell on the wrong side of the crossbar. The game was contested at a rare pace, and Parkinson made several fine efforts to open the scoring, having very hard lines from a well-judged centre by Uren.

Following clever work by the home forwards. Uren spoiled a grand chance by his impetuosity. Buck raced away in possession but his final effort although well directed, lacked sting, and Sloan had little difficulty in repelling the shot. However, the home custodian conceded a corner from a subsequent shot by Crews. This was safely negotiated, and Liverpool again took up the attack, Parkinson shooting inches wide.

From the goal kick Crews gained possession, and after a short dribble the winger parted to Lacey, who scored with a well-judged shot, which beat Sloan all the way. The Everton forwards were now showing improved form and from Young’s pass Jones hit the upright, whilst shortly afterwards Buck overran the ball when he had, but the goalkeeper to negotiate. Parry endeavoured to equalise from a foul, but his shot went over the bar. Just before the interval, Goode equalised, after Berry had fisted out from a corner well placed by Uren. Half-time Liverpool 1 Everton 1.

The attendance, which at the kick off numbered 5,000 had increased to 8,000, but the light, was rapidly falling. Liverpool quickly carried the play to the Everton goal, where the ball stuck in the mud just in front of the line. A couple of corners fell to Liverpool, and Hignett shot high over the bar. A foul against Rafferty was well placed, but Speakman made a purile attempt to turn it to good account. A goal, however, was scored shortly afterwards by Parkinson, who when Berry was in difficulties from a hot shot by Griffin, ran up and kicked the ball into the net, the custodian being on the ground.

A hot fusillade on the visitors’ goal followed and Berry cleared several fine shots whilst the backs charged down others. Griffin scored Liverpool’s third. Young who had been limping for a considerable time, left the field and the visitors had but four forwards. This notwithstanding they attacked with vigour, and Lacey brought Sloan to his knees with a rasping shot, whilst Crews also tested the home custodian. Play was transferred to the other end, where Goode had an excellent opportunity, but shot wide. Parkinson finished up a clever sprint with a good goal, and in a bad light Speakman added a fifth.

Although there was little to choose between the teams during the initial period, Liverpool were much the superior in the second half, and fully deserved their victory. Play was interesting throughout, and had the ground been in a more fit condition the game would have been more open. The beneficiary was in grand form, and the two goals which he scored accrued from clever individual work, whilst he also had a hand in the other goals, judiciously feeding his wingmen with well-judged passes. The home side adapted themselves to the conditions, and took advantage of the opportunities which offered, whilst Everton were handicapped by the absence of Young in the second half.
(Liverpool Courier, 27-04-1909)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.