Everton Reserves v Liverpool Reserves 1-1 (Liverpool Cup Final: March 5, 1910)

March 5, 1910
Match: Liverpool Cup, Final, at Goodison Park.
Everton Reserves – Liverpool Reserves 1-1 (1-0).
Attendance: 10,000; gate receipts: £354.
Everton Reserves (2-3-5): Walter Scott, Bob Balmer, John Bardsley, Jack Allan, John Borthwick, Louis Weller, Ernest Pinkney, William Lacey, Thomas Jones, James Gourlay, Harry Mountford.
Liverpool Reserves (2-3-5): Gus Beeby, Robert Crawford, Billy Dunlop, John McConnell, Sam Hignett, Barney Dillon, James Speakman, Bertram Goode, Joe Hewitt, Sam Bowyer, Harold Uren.
The goals: 1-0 Lacey, 1-1 Goode (Penalty).

With both senior elevens away from home, local interest centred in the contest at Goodison Park, which attracted quite 10,000 spectators. Almost on the first minute Pinkney took a bouncing ball from Dunlop and was almost though before he was dispossessed.

The succeeding play was very even in character, the due being fought out between the respective forwards, and half-backs. Once Hewitt hesitated, and Lacey robbed him when finely placed. Then the Everton forwards, prominent among when were Pinkney and Mountford, were only kept at bay by heroic efforts on the part of the Reds defenders.

Although on the play there was little difference between the sides, there was certainly lack of incident. The interest was enlivened, by the taking of a free kick by Lacey from a position fully thirty yards from the Reds goal and with a terrific drive, he placed the ball into the top corner of the net.

Then Hewitt sought to neutralise this advantage with a fine header, which, however, was a trifle wide of the mark. Clever footwork between Lacey and Pinkney forced the Anfielders on the defensive, and the ball being swung across the Gourlay, the latter took aim, but luckily for the Reds, the shot was charged down.

Then the Liverpool forwards forced matters, and Scott brought of a great save from Speakman, who had been provided with the opening by Hewitt. Everton were now enjoying more of the attack than their opponents, and the work of the home forwards was certainly more convincing than that of the Anfielders, while the half backs of the Everton side were stronger and more resourceful that the Reds.

A near piece of work by Uren who lashed the ball into the Everton goal, enabled Speakman, to rush the ball into the net, but the referee disallowed the point for hands against Speakman –a decision which was open to question.

Faulty passing by the Reds did not improve their play. Mountford might, with a better control of the ball, have increased Everton’s score after a poor clearance, by Beeby.

Half-time Everton Res 1 Liverpool Res nil.

Goode equalised for Liverpool Reserves from a penalty. T. Jones also missing a penalty, sending wide of post.
(Liverpool Echo: March 5, 1910)

Gus Beeby, Liverpool (Match Programme: January 15, 1910).

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.