April 23, 1910
Mr. John Tweed Ibbotson, of Derby, who has received the distinction of being appointed referee for the final tie in the English Cup, has had an interesting career. Prior to going to Derby in October, 1891, he was, says the “Sheffield Independent,” a Rugby player, and in April of that year had a trial with Wakefield Trinity v. Manningham.
At Derby he joined Derby Junction, at which time Mr. D. Allsop (now a Town Councillor) was goalkeeper. In the season 1896-7 he had his first engagement as a referee (Midland League), and in 1898-9 was put on the League linesman’s list. In 1899-1900 he refereed the replayed final of the Derbyshire Cup. It was Mr. Morgan Roberts’ appointment, but the re-play being on the same day as the English Cup final he could not take it.
1902-3 was his first season the League list of referees, but he did not receive an appointment. In 1903-4 he had eight appointments in the League, and also refereed the English Cup tie, Stoke v. Blackburn Rovers. In 1907-8 he refereed in the semi-final for the Glasgow Cup, Queen’s Park v. Glasgow Rangers. This was his first visit as a referee to Scotland.
Among his other engagements as referee that season were: Semi-final of English Cup, Wolverhampton Wanderers v. Southampton; International, Wales v. Ireland, at Aberdare, and Ireland v. Scotland, at Dublin; England v. Sweden (Stadium), Olympic Games; Scottish League match, Celtic v. Glasgow Rangers (This was held on New Year’s Day, when there was the largest attendance at any League match in Scotland.) In 1908 and 1910 he officiated at the semi-final for the Glasgow Cup, Queen’s Park v. Celtic, and in the final for the same cup, Celtic v. Glasgow Rangers. He was also in at the final of the Gloucestershire Cup. Mr. Ibbotson closes his career as an active referee on 30th April in the League match, Liverpool v. Aston Villa, at Liverpool.
It may be added that Mr. Ibbotson holds an official position in the chief goods manager’s department, Midland Railway, Derby. He entered the company’s service in 1884, and, as above indicated, came to Derby in 1891, where he has been ever since.
(Source: Derby Daily Telegraph: April 23, 1910)
Derby Daily Telegraph, October 31 – 1929.