June 9, 1910
A well-known Liverpool gentleman
Much regret will be felt in Liverpool at the announcement of the death of Alderman Ephraim Walker, J.P. (Justice of Peace), which took place to-day, as Harrogate. Alderman Walker had been in failing health for some time, and he recently went to Harrogate in the hope that his health would improve with the bracing Yorkshire air. The deceased gentleman, who was about sixty-three years of age, was a native of Stoke, although he had been in Liverpool ever since he was a boy of ten.
He was educated principally at the College, Shaw Street, and afterwards joined his father in business. Eventually he established the firm of Hollinshead and Walker, Limited, glass and china dealers, Cleveland Square, of which he had been for years the sole proprietor.
When a young man he became interested in municipal politics on the Conservative side, and in 1886 contested Pitt Street Ward, but was defeated by the Liberal candidate by 80 votes. Three years later he became the Conservative candidate for West Derby Ward, defeating Mr. W. Matkin, the Liberal and Labour candidate, by over 1,300 votes.
When his turn came to seek re-election, in 1892, he beat Dr McCann, the Liberal, and safely established himself in the constituency. In 1896, on the creating of “Greater Liverpool,” the deceased gentleman was returned as one of the Conservative representatives of Low Hill Ward, the old West Derby Ward having been divided.
At the first meeting of the enlarged City Council he was elected an alderman, and has held that position ever since. Mr. Walker was one of the ablest and most conscientious members of the Council, and, as chairman of the Markets Committee for many years, he always favoured a progressive policy, and was highly successful in his administration.
He also served from time to time on several other important committees, bringing to bear in all the work of the Corporation much sound business ability and shrewd commonsense.
Several city charities had in him a warm supporter. In 1897 he was made a Justice of the Pace, and took a large share in the work of the bench.
His death will be deeply regretted by all sections of the community, he having been justly held in high esteem.
He resided at Mill Bank, West Derby.
(Source: Liverpool Echo: June 9, 1910)
Liverpool Echo: June 10, 1910.