A collection decided upon for Jock Smith’s family

March 4, 1911
At a meeting of the Jock Smith Fund Committee, held in the Dun Cow Inn, Back Eldon Street, on Saturday evening – Mr. J. Harvey in the chair – the secretary (Mr. T. Rodger) intimated that permission had been granted by the Newcastle United directors to take a collection at St. James’ Park on the occasion of the visit of Aston Villa on March 18.

Will gentlemen who would be willing to assist – and particularly old players who have been identified with premier teams in the north – kindly send their names and addresses to the secretary, Mr. T. Rodger, 20, Edwin Street, Heaton, who is now making arrangements whereby the collection may be as thorough as possible.
(Newcastle Journal: March 6, 1911)