Everton victors

October 5, 1912
Good Goals by Browell and Gault.
The visit of Everton to Anfield this afternoon was the thirty-first meeting of the teams in league football, and the occasion was marked by the usual large crowd. Keen excitement and, withal good humour. The colours of the respective clubs were freely worn, and there was the customary pleasant banter between rival groups of followers of the two clubs.

Everton has set up a remarkable record in regard to visits to their near neighbour, having avoided defeat on these occasions for a dozen years. Liverpool had made several changes in their forwards Parkinson appearing for the first time this season at centre, Stewart displacing Jack Tosswill at inside right, and Miller again partnering Lacey on the left wing. On the other hand, the defence was at full strength. Pursell having recovered from his recent injuries

Everton played Davidson at outside left in place of Harold Uren and two other changes were made at the last moment. Holbem having to take the place of Jock Maconnachie who is suffering from a damaged rib, and Gault re-appearing in the forward line in place of Jefferis who is also on the injured list.

Liverpool: Kenneth Campbell, Ephraim Longworth, Robert Pursell, Harry Lowe, Bob Ferguson, Donald Mackinlay, Arthur Goddard, Jimmy Stewart, Jack Parkinson, Tom Miller, William Lacey.
Everton: James Caldwell, William Stevenson, Walter Holbem, Val Harris, Tom Fleetwood, Harry Makepeace, George Beare, Ernie Gault, Tommy Browell, Frank Bradshaw, William Davidson.

It was a glorious afternoon for football, the ground bring in almost perfect condition, the sky clear, and the bright sunshine also making the conditions pleasant for the spectators, Long before the match started the ground was filling rapidly and the period of waiting was rendered less monotonous by strains of music rendered by the Artillery Band, which discoursed popular airs, which the crowd promptly took up lustily singing well-known chorus.

Blues Win the Toss.
There would be over 40,000 spectators present when Goddard led his men on to the cheers of the multitude. Everton, who followed soon afterwards, were given an equally hearty reception.

Makepeace won the toss for Everton, and Liverpool commenced the dazzling, sunshine to the faces. The first incident of note was a breakaway by Goddard, who stumbled when about to centre. Parkinson did get possession, but was not in a position to shoot Liverpool came again and a mistake by Stevenson let in Miller, who forced a corner, which was not improved upon.

The Everton forwards who had opened tamely, began now to get a grip of the game. They forced a corner kick, only for the ball to be finally shot wide by Gault. The Liverpool half-backs were allowing no quarter, and the Blues forwards were frequently finding their movements nipped in the bud.

Acrobatic Parkinson.
Then Parkinson got in one of his lively rushes, only to unintentionally turn a somersault when nearing the danger zone. There had been ten minutes’ play, as yet neither keeper had a single shot to stop.

A breakaway by the Blues ended in Beare sending in a low ground shot. Campbell was beaten to the world. Fortunately for Liverpool the ball struck the foot of the post, and went out to Gault who returned it smartly, one of the backs, bringing relief.

George Beare, Everton F.C.

Lacey after a fine spirit made an equally fine centre Holbem intercepting with a timely header. The ball was next put out to Goddard, who after dashing ahead gave Caldwell a dangerous shot to stop. Ferguson was prominent with his headwork, but his attempt to find the goal with a long shot was anything but a success.

Anxious Moment.
Then came an anxious moment for the Blues’ defence. Lacey sent right across the goal and after Parkinson had let the ball pass him Stewart came rushing up and shot straight into the hands of Caldwell, who made no mistake in clearing Goddard from the wing got the ball right into the goalmouth, and Parkinson made a desperate effort to rush the keeper through but failed.

Exciting play followed right in front of the Liverpool goal and twice at least a goal seemed certain. Everton were rewarded a free kick close to the corner flag. It was well placed and Browell divided goal-wards with his head. Campbell springing up and placing over the bar with the tips of his fingers.

From the second corner kick the Liverpool goal had an equally narrow escape, the ball was crashed against the side post and Browell was just about to shoot with only the keeper to beat when Longworth took the ball from off his toe in the nick of time.

Everton Force the Pace.
Everton continued to force matters and from a centre by Davidson, Beare missed a glorious opening by shooting wide when presented with a clear goal. The game continued fast and interesting, and Liverpool next enjoyed a spell of attacking which was rendered abortive by the inside forward’s ability to shoot straight at the right moment.

At the other end Bradshaw grazed the far side post with a stiff shot. The Liverpool goal continued to have anxious moments and on one occasion a forward pass to Makepeace ended with Gault getting in a deadly shot. Campbell being lucky to save at the expense of a corner.

First Goal.
There was great enthusiasm over the first goal, which came on 33 minutes after the start. Beare galloped away, and cleverly tricking Mackinley and Pursell, centred with judgement Browell meeting the ball and scoring with his usual precision.

The Liverpool forwards kept on trying, but the inside men continued to lack real shooting ability. The Reds’ rushes were always dangerous, and on occasions Parky was distinctly unlucky in crashing the ball against the crossbar. Lacey met the rebound out to place a yard wide of the target. Goddard was next unlucky with a flag kick and after a scrimmage again shot wide.

Half-time Liverpool 0 Everton 1.

Lively Interval Scenes.
During the interval some amusement was caused by the handy way in which a score of stalwart policemen commenced to throw the spectators on the playing pitch into their proper places, behind the barrier. Some of those who had been put over the railings were inclined to result. Several outbreaks of fisticuffs, which took place at this point, did not help matters, and for the moment or two the situation was ugly. One unruly spectator was led off the field by a policeman and by the time the players’ reappeared things had quieted down.

Second Half.
Early in the second-half Lacey and Parkinson made desperate efforts to get through and Lacey was only inches wide with a good shot. The ball was taken from end to end in quick succession but the backs were more than holding their own.

The play was at times very scrappy, and the Blues’ forwards were not at their best in regard to passing. At the Everton end Stewart had a likely shot charged down and a minute later Parkinson rushed the Everton keeper with no better result than to have a free kick given against him. The game continued to be a hammer and tongs variety and Liverpool were striving their utmost to get level.

A Second Goal.
Their spirited rushes however were not backed up by forceful shooting Everton increasing their lead twenty minutes in the second half. From a fine clearance by Holbem, Gault took up the running, Pursell should have cleared, and his lapse ended in Gault scoring with a capital shot.

Soon afterwards the play had to be stopped through Miller being injured. Liverpool redoubled their efforts, and Lacey after clever footwork got in a low drive, which deserved a better fate than to graze the post. Gault continued to show rare shooting ability. Campbell got rid of a hard drive from him.

The Liverpool forwards were again attacking strongly, but they continued to lack methods in front goal. Parkinson came near rushing the ball through on one occasion and later Miller sent wide with a long shot.

The closing stages were continued at the same fast pace. Browell was making for goal when he was pulled up by Pursell. A corner kick followed, and it was well placed by Beare, Bradshaw coming near to scoring.

The next Liverpool attack saw Goddard in full flight, and he gave Caldwell a hard shot to stop. A minute or two later the Everton keeper saved from Ferguson.

Just before the end Browell was making a bee-line for goal, when Campbell rushed towards him and when twenty yards from goal succeeded in dispossessing him. It was a very dangerous move, but successfully executed.

Final; Liverpool 0, Everton 2; Goal Scorers, Everton Browell, Gault.

The gates are favouring Liverpool this season surely, for the weather was simply perfect for great the game at Anfield. But everything was as near perfect as could be desired. The ground arrangements for dealing with a big crowd, and the appearance of the enclosure, which must rank as one of the finest in the country, were a like excellent.

Naturally Mr. Tom Watson was delighted with the state of affairs and a great deal of credit is due to the popular secretary for the complete character of the arrangements, which worked with a smoothness and ease that could only be-taken perfection foresight and detail.

The pitch was all that could be desired too, and was fitting evidence of the ability of the groundsmen, who were evident given their full time to produce all that is best. From the point of view of “gates” it was a prominent success for they were swinging merrily on their hinges an hour before the start.

Topic of the moment –“What will the 33rd bring about? And will the Reds prevail after their long series of home defeats. “Everton’s loss is Liverpool’s gain” say many of Mac and Jefferis are not with us. Talk about receptions –they could scarcely be excelled.

Start of Game.
Now they’re off with Parky and Goddard well in the picture. No quarter given. First corner to Liverpool. Blue jersey on the spot. Fine incisive movements on Everton’s let, but Ferguson’s head came in useful from the ensuing corner.

First likely opening thus for when Parky raced through, but Stevenson’s interception was great, but still the back was lucky. Not much between them in the first ten minutes.

The Reds’ supporters were delighted with the dash displayed by Parkinson. Whew! Campbell almost beaten from a fine oblique shot from Beare. Just an inch or so out and the upright saved the situation. No slacking, and the spectators were having good value. No indication up to how the game is likely to go. Both keen as mustard, and singularly enough the keenness did not rob the game of the nicer points.

Ferguson at fault hereabouts with faulty passing when the right wing was looking for work. However, Goddard got in a beauty as also Stewart but Caldwell’s work was beyond reproach. Liverpool just now the faster and cleverer team yet made poor use of their superiority.

The home of the “Reds” – Parky deadly. Near thing Everton. One of the popular old-time goalmouth tussles with the defenders eventually prevailing. Longworth a bit out of his reckoning at time or two, but the “Blues” were somewhat generous.

Missed Chances.
Ballooning greatly in evidence just now, but from Liverpool’s point of view it paid, as Goddard presented Stewart with two open goals but – oh! Low the supporters of the “Reds” winged. Ne’er were such chances were finishing touches on a par with the general display both sides must have been chalking him up.

One of Browell’s best – but Campbell ably did the needful. After thirty minutes came the first real shot and Beare, and Browell were the joint causes of it all. That was a great effort on the part of the winger and a fine judged header by the centre that left Campbell hopeless.

Same old tale, Everton always more dangerous when they get down. Reds had chances enough but continued to finish badly. Another chance to Stewart. No luck, but distinctly hard lines when Parky struck the crossbar.

Three minutes to go, and Goddard had the vilest of luck with a brilliant drive, which yielded but a corner. Verdict on the first half, Liverpool defeated themselves by failing to take openings that came their way. At it again. Not quite so scoring this time.

Wide Again.
Liverpool dominates the opening stage, and Lacey had a possible chance, but just wide. The belated equaliser looked forthcoming after “Parky” had drawn the defence and put out to Lacey.

Unfortunately, the lapse was one of inches on. “Hail luck, Stewart” and “Well played Holbem,” almost in one breath.

Once again the “Reds” were the faster side, but Holbem particularly would not be beaten. Parky bothered Caldwell almost on the penalty line. A corner to Liverpool to no avail. The final touch being lacking.

Everton half-backs give a polished display Anfielders depressed. Pursell misjudged the bouncing ball and Gault was there to take full advantage. Another instance of the great alertness of the Blues when openings came along. All over, and the Blues romp offence more with the spoils of victory.

Evidently “the ground for players” had found a maxim as “horses for courses” so far as the Evertonians are concerned.
(Source: Evening Express: October 5, 1912)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.