New Roker record for Sunderland

December 9, 1912
By their victory over Liverpool on Saturday, the Wearsiders brought their point record up to the level of last season. There was no mistake about it, either, and it’s many a day since Sunderland had such an easy task. Practically from the start they were the masters, and, though some time elapsed ere the net could be found, when once the lee had been broken the task seemed simple enough.

This is the biggest League victory Sunderland have recorded at Roker, and they gave full value for every goal they got. Yet, big as the score was, the only man on the Liverpool side who distinguished himself was Campbell, their custodian. He was severely tested by the deadliest shooting that Sunderland have shown at Roker for many moons, but Campbell was there all the time and brought off some wonderful saves. The backs rendered him fair support, but the home forwards were always right on top of them, and gave them no peace. Liverpool were very weak at half-back. Peake being the only one of the line to attract attention, and the forwards, why, they scarcely ever got going.

Splendid Sunderland.
One cannot speak too highly of Sunderland. Indeed, I do not remember them playing better at Roker. Their movements were of the free and active order, especially to be imbued with the desire to do the very best for the club, irrespective of who should be the scorer. This spirit was maintained until some time after the points were placed on the self, so to speak, and then they drifted a little into individualism – and who could blame them?

Buchan never showed such fine shooting since he became a player. Great support was rendered by the half-backs, Thomson easily mastering Parkinson, and giving plenty of attention to the wings. Cuggy and Low also deserve singling out. Troughear made a highly satisfactory return to the team after nine weeks’ absence; but really neither he nor Milton had very much work to do. Still they did what was required, and, what was equally as good, they, like Butler, took no risks. In a word, the defence was as sound as a bell.

Only about ten thousand spectators witnessed the match, the small number being doubtless due to the necessarily early kick-off and the dislocation of the train service owing to the strike. At practically the last moment a change had to be made in each team, Gladwin having to stand down owing to a touch of rheumatism, and Goddard being indisposed. The latter’s place was taken by Pursell, usually a left back, while Troughear renewed his acquaintance with League football.

Story of the goals.
In the opening minutes Liverpool looked like making a good fight of it, and then a series of corners by the Wearsiders was followed by something more substantial. Seventeen minutes had just gone when Hall made a rush for goal, and, being tackled, he promptly transferred to Buchan, who, with an oblique, low shot, got behind Campbell’s defence. Six minutes later Hall placed well out to Martin, and the latter made a straight run towards the goal. Longworth tackled him, but could not dispossess him, and with his left foot Martin drove the ball into the net just between Campbell and the post. The next to score was Mordue, and a fine piece of work it was. He got possession from Thomson, I believe, and, after a run of fully twenty yards, he took deliberate aim, and Campbell had no chance with the cross-shot that followed. Buchan also just as coolly took deliberate aim when adding the fourth goal two minutes before the interval sounded. Martin led up to the goal by sending right across, and Buchan, trapping the ball, took in the situation at a glance.

Mackinlay did not come out with his comrades on the restart, an injury, through colliding with Troughear, preventing his turning out again. The second period was twenty-one minutes old when Buchan meeting a cross from the left, smartly added the fifth goal. Only six minutes more elapsed when the lead was further increased. Mordue placed the ball among a crowd of players from the corner flag, and, though Campbell fisted one shot away, Buchan secured the ball about eight yards out, and drove in a low shot that completely beat Campbell. Four minutes from the end Mordue placed a corner so accurately that Buchan, meeting the ball with his head, diverted its flight into the net. The display of Buchan, his coolness and cleverness with either foot, bordered on the marvellous, and will long be remembered by those who witnessed it.

Sunderland: Joe Butler, Billy Troughear, Albert Milton, Frank Cuggy, Charlie Thomson, Harry Low, Jackie Mordue, Charlie Buchan, Tom Hall, George Holley, Harry Martin.
Liverpool: Kenneth Campbell, Ephraim Longworth, Robert Crawford, Harry Lowe, Bob Ferguson, Ernest Peake, Robert Pursell, Arthur Metcalf, Jack Parkinson, Tom Miller, Donald Mackinlay.

Referee: Mr. Arthur Shallcross, Leek.
(Source: Athletic News: December 9, 1912)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.