Burnley v Liverpool 5-2 (League match: March 14, 1914)

March 14, 1914
Match: Football League, First Division, at Turf Moor, kick-off: 15:30.
Burnley – Liverpool 5-2 (2-1).
Attendance: 16,000; gate receipts: £329.
Referee: Mr. G.W. Drewery; linesmen: Messrs. W.R. Cliffe and H. Dale.
Burnley (2-3-5): Jerry Dawson, Tom Bamford, Bob Reid, George Halley, Tommy Boyle, Levy Thorpe, Billy Nesbitt, Dick Lindley, William Pickering, Teddy Hodgson, Eddie Mosscrop.
Liverpool (2-3-5): Kenneth Campbell, Ephraim Longworth; Robert Pursell, Thomas Fairfoull, Harry Lowe, Bob Ferguson, Jack Sheldon, William Banks, Tom Miller, James Dawson, Jimmy Nicholl.
The goals: 1-0 Lindley (3 min.), 2-0 Boyle (pen, 20 min.), 2-1 Banks (30 min.), 2-2 Nicholl (63 min.), 3-2 Thorpe (75 min.), 4-2 Pickering (82 min.), 5-2 Mosscrop (86 min.).

The game will be a memorable one, not only for the heavy scoring associated with it but also for the thrills and the thunderstorm which marked the second stage after the Mersey men had drawn level, but happily there was not a repetition of the Preston game, though that might easily have happened.

Liverpool are badly in need of points, and while Burnley do not stand so near the brink – and don’t want to – two points, in view of events ahead and the stiff games to be played in the League tourney, were of especial value, as, unless Burnley are in for a very bad time of it, they insure Burnley from the throne of a fight for retention of their place. Still, while there is no need for anxiety, the win gave the club and its followers the feeling of security one experiences when “on velvet.”

When the teams turned out Burnley were wearing blue and white striped jerseys, but owing to the similarity with those worn by the Liverpool team, whose jersey, instead of being red, were black and white stripes, Burnley returned to the dressing-room and donned their familiar colours.

Burnley were without David Taylor, Billy Watson, and Bert Freeman, whose places were filled by Bob Reid, Thorpe, and Pickering, the first named making his first appearance in the premier team’s ranks since November 1912, while Pickering made his debut as a First Division payer. All things considered, the pair did very well. William Lacey, who was assisting Ireland against Scotland, was the notable absentee from the Liverpool eleven.

Boyle won the toss and decided to operate towards the Beehole goal, thus availing himself of the breeze, while Liverpool had the sun in their faces.

Burnley were soon in evidence, for barely three minutes had elapsed when they opened the scoring with a beautifully got goal. Pickering sent the ball out splendidly to Mosscrop, who centred, and Pickering played it as it went across to Lindley, who, close in, headed into the net.

Though they Mersey men invaded the Turfites’ territory a few times, they could not for a long time be described as really dangerous. About a couple of minutes from the goal being scored, Hodgson nearly scored and Mosscrop was busy. Miller tested Dawson, but the bulk of the pressure was exerted by Burnley, who were constantly on the attack, and the Liverpool goal was literally bombarded.

Campbell was called upon three times in rapid succession, shots coming from Boyle and Thorpe. For a change the visitors paid a brief visit to the Burnley goal, but Burnley returning by excellent play, Hodgson was fouled by Lowe in the forbidden area, in 20 minutes, and from the ensuing penalty Boyle popped on the second.

Burnley were playing fine football, were often dangerous, and Campbell was several times troubled. At length the visitors won a corner, and Dawson dealt with a good attempt, while Bamford and Boyle did good defensive work.

At the end of half an hour Sheldon got away and centred. Reid failed to intercept the ball, and Banks reduced the home team’s lead with a cross shot. After this Liverpool did better and the home defence was severely tested, and by way of response Campbell was found more work. Play favoured Burney, though Dawson was requisitioned again, and, in one of the tussles in front of the Burnley goal Nicholl had a splendid chance of placing his side on level terms, but he sent over the bar from close quarters, and at the interval Burnley led by 2-1.

It is not too much to say that Burney for about twenty minutes had considerably the better of the bout, and came near scoring, for Longworth kicked out from the line, and on another occasion a shot from Lindley went over from the hands of Longworth. A penalty was claimed, but the referee gave a corner.

For the greater part of the period named the Liverpool backs had a warm time of it. Mosscrop on two occasions caused trouble, but the defenders, including Campbell, emerged from the struggle triumphantly, though they had to concede corners.

After 18 minutes’ operations Liverpool got away and made their first serious attack after the resumption, and the movement ended in the downfall of the Burnley goal. Miller shot, and the ball went to Nicholl from Dawson’s save, and the Liverpudlian sent the ball into the net, Dawson at the moment being out of his charge. Thus Liverpool were on level terms.

For the next ten minutes or a quarter of an hour Liverpool, who played capital football and had the stimulus of the goal to encourage them, were persistent. At this juncture the light became very bad and there were rumblings of thunder.

The play, which was fast and exciting, was punctuated with flashes of lightning. Directly there was a terrific downpour of rain, and amid this Dawson made a splendid save from Miller.

Directly afterwards Dawson advanced from his charge as the Liverpool centre came down again in menacing fashion and beat the backs. The half backs had either got so far up the field as to be unable to recover, or were inclined to treat the situation lightly. In the semi darkness Miller got in a terrific shot, and Dawson fisted out in nothing short of wonderful fashion. It was really surprising that he could see the ball, and his feat deserved the cheers it elicited. The ball rose in the air and turned over for a corner.

For a time there was little or no improvement in the light, and it was difficult to follow the ball, but Burnley were putting forth every effort to retrieve the lost ground.  At the end of 30 minutes Thorpe sent in a fast shot from quite 20 yards’ range, which entered the net, thus putting his side ahead, amid enthusiastic cheers.

By this time, owing to the heavy rain, the ground was in a very sloppy condition, but the light improved, and there were a series of onslaughts on Campbell’s charge. Seven minutes after Thorpe’s successful shot, Mosscrop being again busy, the International won a corner, and in the ensuing tussle Pickering headed his first League goal.

In the closing stages there was a succession of assaults on the Liverpool goal, and about three or four minutes from time, following smart work among his colleagues, the movement being initiated by Halley, Mosscrop, after dribbling on, sent in a cross shot, which struck the inside of the upright and crossed the line. Lindley dashed into the goal at the same instant, so that if it had not already been a goal he would have made assurance doubly sure. Burnley won a remarkable game by 5-2.
(Burnley Express, 18-03-1914)

Lindley head the first goal (top), which Hodgson sees safely into the net.
Burnley Liverpool March 1914

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.