Newcastle United v Liverpool 1-2 (League match)

Wednesday, April 1 – 1914
Match: Football League, 1st Division, at St. James’s Park, kick-off: 17:15.
Newcastle United – Liverpool 1-2 (0-0).
Attendance: 18,000.
Referee: Mr. J.T. Hornby.
Newcastle United (2-3-5): William Mellor; Billy Hampson, Frank Hudspeth; James Spink, Wilf Low, Bob Hewison; Edward Cooper, Stan Dixon, Albert Shepherd, George Wilson, Thomas Goodwill.
Liverpool (2-3-5): Kenneth Campbell; Ephraim Longworth, Sam Speakman; Thomas Fairfoull, Harry Lowe, Bob Ferguson; Jack Sheldon, William Banks, Tom Miller, William Lacey, Jimmy Nicholl.
The goals: 0-1 Sheldon (pen, 63 min.), 0-2 Miller (70 min.), 1-2 Hudspeth (pen. 81 min.).

Liverpool have “arrived” just at the proper time, and as a result of their victory over Newcastle they are now safe from relegation. The position at the rear of the table now stand: –

1914 League table 1 april

The Anfield boys appeared to have played another good game, and they fairly sprung a surprise on Newcastle. List to what a Newcastle scribe says about the match. It is always nice to read what our opponents have to say about us: –

Newcastle United’s failure to account for Liverpool in a re-arranged League match at St. James’s Park, Newcastle, last night, still leaves the question of their ultimate safety an open one.

To put it mildly, the defeat was a big blow (says the “Newcastle Chronicle”).

The old story of scrappy forward work was at the root of the matter, and it is evident that all attempts to find a capable and efficient attack have been failures. But to saddle the front rank with all the blame would not be fair, for as a half back line the present Newcastle lot are far below the standard of a few seasons ago when Veitch, Aitken, and McWilliam were the crowning glory of the Tyneside combination.

Admittedly Newcastle’s halves are hard workers, but aimless kicking is not good enough for the support of a forward line. This was what was the matter last night.

The forward seldom got going owing to faulty distribution, but when the attackers did move in something like concerted fashion there was no backing up, and a shot once delivered lacked the necessary sting or accuracy.

It is beyond dispute that Wilson twice came near scoring, and also true that Shepherd in the first half, when Newcastle did the bulk of the attacking, made three or four strong shots, but the direction was never good, so that Campbell was not severely tested.

How the Reds shaped
Liverpool’s men played with more understanding, and simply waited their opportunity. It nearly materialised before the interval, for Nicholl, the most progressive of the Merseysiders’ front line, kept making ground and delivering collectable centres.

It was really from a corner, however, that Mellor’s goal had a narrow escape, and from the press box it looked as though Banks had found the net. Mellor seemed to scoop the ball out from behind, and when he parted with it another shot on his other side found him just able to save owing to his long reach.

The he had another harassing period when Nicholl’s next centre appeared to drag, and it was only by a big effort on Mellor’s part that he was able to run out with the ball.

There were really few incidents apart from these briefly referred to in the opening half. Albert Shepherd once brought Campbell out, and the Liverpool keeper saved by falling on the ball.

Paying wing game
If the visitors had not shaped like worthy Cup finalists in the opening half there was more method about their play later. They began to play the wing-to-wing game, and Nicholl’s and Sheldon’s runs were often troublesome.

It was the pace of the first named that carried him past Hampson, and from the centre Low handled, Sheldon having no trouble in scoring from the penalty after seventeen minutes of the second half had gone.

And when the second goal came it was Sheldon’s work that nonplussed Hudspeth, and from the centre, which was missed by Banks, Miller gave the Newcastle goalkeeper no chance.

From that stage Liverpool’s football was of the exhibition type, and Newcastle were sat at cross purposes.

Devoid of understanding, the Tynesiders were all to easily beaten, and Shepherd particularly so. Once robbed he had little or no idea of recovery, and that, by the way was Dixon’s only good point.

It was Shepherd who was indirectly responsible for Newcastle’s consolation goal, for he was fouled by Lowe in the penalty area, and Hudspeth scored.
(Liverpool Evening Express, 02-04-1914)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.