Bury v Liverpool 3-4 (League match: October 28, 1916)

October 28, 1916
Match: Lancashire Section, Gigg Lane.
Bury – Liverpool 3-4 (1-1).
Attendance: 1,000.
Referee: Mr. W.J. Heath; linesmen: Messrs. T.W. Wilson and F.G. Bagley.
Bury (2-3-5): Tommy Cornthwaite, Jimmy Thomson, Tommy Greaves, Malone, Billy Humphreys, Teddy Bullen, Mitton, Johnson, Charles Chorlton, Jack Lythgoe, Edwards.
Liverpool (2-3-5):  Sutcliffe, Ephraim Longworth, Tommy Lucas, Norman Bradley, Walter Wadsworth, Donald Mackinlay, Arthur Goddard, Arthur Metcalf, Fred Pagnam, Harry Lewis, Tommy Cunliffe.
The goals: 0-1 Pagnam (20 min.), 1-1 Mitton, 1-2 Pagnam, 1-3 Longworth, 2-3 Lythgoe, 2-4 Metcalf, 3-4 Greaves.

It was a close thing at Bury, where Liverpool won in a seven-goal match. “F.E.H.” says of it: Although their precious defensive goal record was badly bruised at Bury on Saturday. Liverpool enjoyed the greater honour of preserving their unbeaten certificate, and so stepping to the top of the table. No one can deny that the Anfielders thoroughly deserve their present proud position. It is true that in one or two instances Dame Fortune may have smiled upon them, yet their consistency in successfully fighting rearguard actions fully justifies their occupancy of premier place in the competition. It may have been that the absence of the regular warden on Saturday accounted for three goals being scored against them, but it would be unfair to blame Sutcliffe entirely for this. The reserve man, called upon in an emergency, did exceedingly well under the most trying conditions, and if he was rather flurried in the concluding stages there was every excuse for it.

The weather was simply atrocious, wind and rain vieing with each other in making everyone concerned cold, damp, and uncomfortable. Fortunately, the fine turf for which the Gigg-lane enclosure is so notable was very slightly affected by the downpour, and as a consequence playw as exceptionally fast and exciting. The Anfielders, although always the stronger side, had to fight all the way in order to carry off full points. They enjoyed much the better of the exchanges in the first period yet Bury were all square at the turn. In the second half there was a plethora of goals, and, with a little more steadiness, the home side might have divided the spoils. Longworth and Lucas, however, ably seconded by the half backs, succeeded in keeping the lead, and so the visitors ran out dripping but delighted victors by the odd goal in seven.

Pagnam opened the scoring with a characteristic goal, and, as we have said, Liverpool had a comparatively easy time until Mitton equalised. On crossing over the contest was much more strenuous. The Liverpool centre added a second with great skill, and this was followed by a wonderful goal from Longworth who judged his mark to an inch. Bury rallied strongly, and when Lythgoe had reduced the margin the fight became even keener. Metcalf broke his spell of ill-luck by finding the target, and then Greaves with a long drive completed the septet.

Where all did well there is no reason to individualise. The halves were perhaps most prominent, with Longworth always the dominating figure in defence.
(Liverpool Echo, 30-10-1916)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.