One sided trial match at Anfield

August 18, 1917
Liverpool’s practice game proved an interesting event, and gave us a glimpse of several promising players (writes “Duval”).
The game itself was too one sided to be taken seriously, the odds being too much in favour of last season’s regular team, styled “Reds,” who won without extending themselves to any extent. It was big proposition that was asked of the Stripes, as the Reds’ side were immeasurably stronger, and had the advantage of knowing each others play from their association last year. Still there was no mistaking the earnest intention of the Stripes, although they were no match for their opponents.

At least three players on the Stripes’ side gave evidence of ability that should command further trial. Percy Kite, the lengthy Warrington custodian, was unquestionably the most conspicuous and interesting figure. His build helps to make him an ideal keeper – he seems to fill the goal with little to spare, and when he perfects his methods of dealing with low drives he might well be the despair of opposing forwards. With high and breast-high shots he is quite at home, and is apparently not troubles with “nerves.”

Billy Murphy, from Thatto Heath, who figures at outside left, is a strong, alert kind of player who takes the shortest course to goal, strong in shooting power, and, alongside a partner who can provide the chances, should do well. The pivot of the side was Tweedale Rigg, who has been seen at Anfield on previous occasions, and is known for his sterling, robust style that proves so valuable in spoiling the combined efforts of the opposing forwards. As already indicated, the opposition was not strong enough to cause the League players to put forth any special effort, and the side as composed on Saturday will probably do duty in the early games. If any change is decided upon Percy Kite may get a chance. Mr. Jack Cahill refereed the game well, except for one serious mistake. Tommy Haughton had left his goal to clear, but before he could return the ball was driven back to goal, and Ephraim Longworth, who had for the moment taken the custodian’s place, cleared with his left hand. It was such an obvious case for a penalty that everyone marvelled at the referee’s omission.
(Liverpool Echo: August 20, 1917)

Dear reader,

You can help me promote this website to other football fans by any of the following ways:

1) Just under the headline there is a note saying “leave a comment.” Please comment, and build a LFC history community!
2) Just above the date for the article, at the top, there is pictured some stars, and the saying “Rate this.” Please rate the articles you read!
3) At the bottom of every article there is a “Share this” for either Facebook, Twitter, Press This, Pinterest, Email, and Google +1. Please share the articles within your circles.

Thank you for visiting this website and welcome back, and thank you in advance for helping me promoting this website!

Kjell Hanssen

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.