Liverpool v Sunderland 5-0 (FA Cup match, replay)

Wednesday, January 11 – 1922
Match: Football League, FA Cup, First Round, replay, at Anfield, kick-off: 14:15.
Liverpool – Sunderland 5-0 (1-0).
Attendance: 46,000; gate receipts: £3,000.
Referee: Mr. A. Coward.
Liverpool (2-3-5): Elisha Scott, Donald Mackinlay, Walter Wadsworth, John McNab, William Lacey, Tom Bromilow, Harry Chambers, Dick Forshaw, Tommy Lucas, Harry Lewis, Fred Hopkin.
Sunderland (2-3-5): James Dempster, John Gibson, Ernie England, George Hunter, Robert Ferguson, Jack Poole, Jimmy Stephenson, Charlie Buchan, Jack Mitton, Arthur Hawes, Billy Ellis.
The goals: 1-0 Forshaw (26 min.), 2-0 Chambers (56 min.), 3-0 Forshaw (60 min.), 4-0 Chambers (69 min.), 5-0 Wadsworth (89 min.).

Yesterday, in the replay at Anfield, Liverpool won by five goals to none – a convincing enough score on the face of it, but they had all the good fortune. In the first place Sunderland had to play five or six reserves owing to the ravages of influenza, which has resulted in eleven of their players being laid aside.

Then they had four players injured at different periods of the game, had to battle against a strong wind in the first half which turned against them in the second accompanied by hail squalls, and contributed to their undoing by defensive mistakes which debited them with two goals.

It was a hard fought but only a poor game, even for a cup-tie, the wind and the heavy ground spoiling the play, but Liverpool were much the superior side. They were sounded in defence, superior at half-back, and combined and shot infinitely better.

The Wearsiders were very poor forward where Buchan had a completely barren afternoon, and little was seen of Stephenson, his partner. Mitton played well enough at centre, but was hurt on three occasions, which affected his finishing work. Hawes was perhaps the best forward. As showing how ineffective was the Sunderland attack, it may be pointed out that Scott had only twice to save, once in each half.

Dempster made some fine saves in the closing stages, but seemed at fault when Liverpool scored the first goal. Liverpool were well served in defence by Mackinlay, while Bromilow played very well indeed at half-back, and gave Buchan every little scope. Forward, none did better than Hopkin, whose second half work led to three goals, while Chambers did well in the centre.

In the opening portion, with half a gale at their backs, Liverpool did not finish well, and though Mackinlay hit a post from a free kick, only one shot reached Dempster. But it scored. Forshaw sent in from 25 yards, and Dempster appeared at fault when the ball entered the net just under the bar. This was after 26 minutes’ play.

Ten minutes after the change of ends Chamber scored a second, four minutes later Forshaw added another, and in 24 minutes a mix-up between Dempster and Gibson led to Chambers netting the fourth, Wadsworth heading the fifth on time from a corner. The attendance was given as approximately 50,000, with receipts £3,000.

Result: – Liverpool 5 goals, Sunderland none.
(Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer, 17-01-1922)

Dick Forshaw, Liverpool F.C.
Dick Forshaw  Liverpool F.C.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.