Arsenal v Liverpool 1-0 (League match: September 2, 1922)

September 2, 1922
Match: Football League, First Division, at Highbury, kick-off: 15:30.
Arsenal – Liverpool 1-0 (1-0).
Attendance: 35,000.
Referee: Mr. W.G. Day (Derby).
Arsenal (2-3-5): Tim Williamson, Frank Bradshaw, Arthur Hutchins, Alf Baker, Clem Voysey, Tom Whittaker, Jock Rutherford, Bert White, Andrew Young, Reginald Boreham, Billy Blyth.
Liverpool (2-3-5): Elisha Scott, Ephraim Longworth, Donald Mackinlay, John McNab, Walter Wadsworth, Tom Bromilow, William Lacey, Dick Forshaw, Dick Johnson, Harry Chambers, George Harold Beadles.
The goal: 1-0 Hutchins (penalty, 37 min.).

Champions outplayed.
History was repeated in the match at Highbury for after losing the first game at Anfield, the Arsenal turned the tables on the League champions at their own headquarters exactly as they did last season. There was much jubilation among the 35,000 spectators, many of whom got a thorough soaking, rain falling pitilessly for the greater part of the game. The wretched conditions, with the water splashing up all over the ground, did not prevent the play being always interesting, and at times it reached a fairly high standard.

The all-important goal was scored 37 minutes after the start, and Hutchins was credited with the point, the full back scoring from a penalty kick. Scott reached the ball, but was unable to prevent it rising into the top of the net. The penalty kick was given for a foul on Blyth, who was threading his way through the opposition in fine style when Wadsworth put his leg out and the Arsenal forward fell. It was by no means a vicious offence, but one which had to be penalised.

There were really very few other occasions when a score seemed imminent. Prior to the penalty kick the Liverpool goal had a narrow escape, for when Blyth centred Mackinlay headed high into his own goalmouth, and Scott made a meritorious save by punching away from under the bar. Later Young was presented with the easiest opening of the game by Rutherford, but completely missed the ball.

Voysey’s great display.
The visitors, though showing superior form in midfield, were too keenly tackled to become dangerous. Johnson certainly made a few good attempts in the second half, and once nearly succeeded. Baker and Hutchins crowding him off the ball in time. White, at a moment when he was thought to be hurt, put in an electrifying run and shot which Scott did well to dispose of and efforts by Blyth and Rutherford, and one fine shot by Forshaw about exhaust the list of narrow escapes.

Although at half-time the Arsenal struck me as being a little fortunate in having the lead on the run of the game, it must be said that they were worthy of the success they gained. They were by no means so polished as Liverpool, for the visitors exploited the accurate short passing game which was very effective in midfield, but, quite futile in the goal area with keen defenders about.

The Arsenal have a great centre half-back in Voysey, who was the outstanding figure in the match, his play in the first half particularly being brilliant. He quickly demonstrated that Johnson was not to be the dangerous man he was at Anfield. He checkmated the Liverpool inside forward forwards very skilfully and wrecked their combination. Baker revelled in the mud, and these two players must be given the lion’s share of credit for the Arsenal’s success. Whittaker was not so good, but he had in Lacey and Forshaw a great wing to cope with, the latter being the visitors’ best forward. He engineered many brilliant movements in which Lacey assisted ably, but Chambers was the only other support, for Beadles, who took the outside-left position owing to Hopkin being down with a cold, was very weak.

Sound defenders.
Young has not solved the Arsenal’s centre-forward problem, and he was at no time clever enough to beat Wadsworth, Rutherford and White made a splendid wing from which most of the danger came, and they had to battle against the best Liverpool half-back in Bromilow. Blyth accomplished much good work on the home left wing, but his partner, Boreham, was none too happy in the adverse conditions.

Considering the state of the ground, it was surprising that none of the backs made many mistakes; on the contrary, they did their work exceedingly well, lightening the work of Scott and Williamson, both of whom acquitted themselves creditably when occasion required.
(The Athletic News, 04-09-1922)

Image from Daily Mirror, Monday, September 4 – 1922.
The Arsenal goalkeeper Williamson saving a Liverpool attack.
1922 Arsenal v Liverpool Williamson saving Daily Mirror 4 Sep


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.