Tottenham v Liverpool 2-4 (League match)

Saturday, November 4 – 1922
Match: Football League, First Division, at White Hart Lane, kick-off: 15:00.
Tottenham Hotspur – Liverpool 2-4 (0-0).
Attendance: 45,000.
Referee: Mr. A. Timmins.
‘Spurs (2-3-5): Herbert Blake, Tommy Clay, Bob McDonald, Jimmy Skinner, Charlie Walters, Arthur Grimsdell, Charlie Handley, Jimmy Seed, Jimmy Dimmock, Bert Bliss, Sammy Brooks.
Liverpool (2-3-5): Elisha Scott, Ephraim Longworth, Donald Mackinlay, John McNab, Walter Wadsworth, Tom Bromilow, Cyril Gilhespy, Dick Forshaw, Dick Johnson, Harry Chambers, Fred Hopkin.
The goals: 0-1 Chambers (56 min.), 0-2 Forshaw (57 min.), 0-3 Chambers (75 min.), 1-3 Grimsdell (76 min.), 1-4 Gilhespy (87 min.), 2-4 Clay (penalty, 88 min.).

Before a crowd of about forty thousand people on a beautiful afternoon, the Liverpool team showed that their loss of form of the week before at Cardiff was only temporary, and they gained a splendid victory by four goals to two. Decisive as the score shows their superiority to have been it would have been still more apparent had not the home team got goals from a free kick and a penalty after the game stood 3-0 against them.

The first half was noteworthy for the splendid defence shown by both sides in some very good fast football, but after change of ends Hotspur failed to hold their own. Liverpool did not have to wait long before gaining the lead. Chambers ran straight through, and while still going at full pace sent in a long shot which swerved away at the last moment and beat Blake. Before Hotspur had recovered a chance came to Forshaw, and another brilliant shot too effect.

The Liverpool left wing got away, and Hopkin raced almost to the line before giving a short low pass to Chambers, who shot just inside the post from close quarters. Still, Hotspur persevered, and a free-kick was awarded them near the penalty area. Grimsdell beat Scott with a powerful kick, but directly afterward Hopkin got away again and centred across goal for Gilhespy to head through.

Grimsdell made a last effort, but was checked close to goal and apparently pushed in the back. At any rate, a penalty was awarded, and Clay came up to turn this to account. Four goals actually came in the last thirteen minutes.
(Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer, 06-11-1922)

Fred Hopkin, Liverpool F.C.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.