Liverpool beaten by a superior team

October 15, 1923
The second of the local “Derby” games between Liverpool and Everton ended in another win for Everton. The score at Anfield on Saturday was slightly different. Everton gaining the verdict by 2-1, as against 1-0 at Goodison the previous week, but the general conclusion was the same – that Everton were the better side, and well worth their victory.

Thus in a season have Everton tarnished Liverpool’s record of post-war success at both Goodison and Anfield.

Saturday’s contest was in keeping with the high standard set the previous week, and of hard honest football. The season’s local games have been fine examples.

Liverpool made two changes, Lucas displacing Parry in the defence, and H. Wadsworth taking the place of Lacey, who was ill.

These changes mattered little, for it was the half-backs who controlled the game and decided the issue. Everton’s strength was Liverpool’s weakness, and the game turned in Everton’s favour chiefly through the masterly display of their middle line.

Liverpool started well enough, and the attack was not the spiritless thing of a week ago. In fact, there was little to choose between the sides up to the interval.

Afterwards there was no comparison at all, for the Everton forwards, especially the right wing, backed by a powerful half-back line never relaxed their tenacious grip upon the Liverpool defence, and Scott was fortunate to escape with a single goal against him.

There could be no complaints on the score of pace, for the game throughout was played with commendable enthusiasm and spirit.

Early on it was obvious that Liverpool were anxious to do themselves justice, and the side moved faster than a week ago, Chadwick got in the first shot, and Liverpool forced the first corner, off McBain, but the best effort in the early stages came when Chedgzoy dropped the ball into the Liverpool goalmouth.

In spite of the brilliant sun Scott kept the ball out cleverly, and a few minutes later Walsh opened the scoring for Liverpool. H. Wadsworth centred the ball almost from the touchline, and it fell at the feet of Walsh, who was standing in the centre of the Everton goal.

For a moment it seemed as though the Liverpool centre had failed to take the chance, but after steadying himself he shot and the ball touched one of the Everton defenders and was deflected so that Fern, who had advanced a stride, merely touched it as passed beneath the bar into the net.

This success at the end of 11 minutes’ play was nullified 12 minutes later through a mistake by Pratt. The half back was troubled to find a way of clearing the ball near the corner touchline, and as he swung round Chedgzoy who had followed up swept the ball along much to Pratt’s surprise and from a narrow angle drove in a shot that completely beat Scott.

With the scores level the contest was waged with even greater earnestness, and the Everton forwards were not only fast, but clever.

Still there was very little good shooting, but Liverpool missed a fine chance when Wadsworth put the ball across the Everton goal, for it was allowed to pass without a shot.

Everton scored what proved to be the winning goal after the second half had been in progress 14 minutes and Cock was the scorer, although Chedgzoy was the originator of the goal.

Chedgzoy got through while Mackinlay appealed for offside and swerving goalwards to avoid Wadsworth’s challenge, he sent in a shot which Scott dived for and just succeeded in diverting, but before he was able to clear Cock, who was on the spot turned it into the net.

Fern was not always sure with his handling for he fumbled a shot by Chambers, which he ought to have cleared easily. From this stage to the end Everton were clearly the superior side, and much work was thrown on the Liverpool defence through Troup’s clever centres.

Irvine wasted one of the best chances when he shot wide after beating the Liverpool defence with a fine solo run.

Mackinlay tried to force an opening by joining the forwards and a great run by Hopkins fizzled out through the forward holding the ball too long. In point of merit there was little difference between the respective defences, but Scott appeared more confident than Fern, for he handled the ball with greater sureness.

The backs on both sides were moderate.

Everton had a big advantage in the intermediate line for the work of Hart, and McBain frequently touched a high level.

On the Liverpool side Wadsworth worked hard with a fair measure of success, but Pratt and McNab were very deficient in constructive work.

H. Wadsworth and Forshaw started well, but soon fell away and Chambers and Hopkins were easily the better wing.

The Everton attack was better balanced and more effective. Chedgzoy played one of his best games and Irvine was little inferior. Troup was more prominent with passes to the extreme wing and accurate centres than in direct attacks.

Chadwick was again a dangerous shooter although he got fewer openings and Everton’s best work came from the right wing.

Liverpool: Elisha Scott, Tommy Lucas, Donald Mackinlay, John McNab, Walter Wadsworth, David Pratt, Harold Wadsworth, Dick Forshaw, Jimmy Walsh, Harry Chambers, Fred Hopkin.
Everton: Tommy Fern, Jock McDonald, Duggie Livingstone, William Brown, Neil McBain, Hunter Hart, Sam Chedgzoy, Bobby Irvine, Jack Cock, Wilf Chadwick, Alex Troup.
(Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury: October 15, 1923)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.