Fulham v Liverpool 3-1 (FA Cup: January 30, 1926)

January 30, 1926
Match: FA Cup, Fourth Round, at Craven Cottage, kick off: 14:45.
Fulham – Liverpool 3-1 (2-1).
Attendance: 36,381; Gate receipt: £2,427.
Referee: Mr. A.J. Caseley.
Fulham (2-3-5): Ernie Beecham; Reg Dyer, Billy Probert; Len Oliver, Jock McNab, Albert Barrett; Jack Harris, Teddy Craig, Albert Pape, Bill Prouse, Frank Penn.
Liverpool (2-3-5): Elisha Scott; Tommy Lucas, Donald Mackinlay; John McNab, William Cockburn, Tom Bromilow; Cyril Oxley, Harry Chambers, Dick Forshaw, Tommy Scott, David McMullan.
The goals: 1-0, Pape (4 min.), 1-1 Forshaw (30 min.), 2-1 own goal (E. Scott, 41 min.), 3-1 Pape (55 min.).

Fulham’s down on Merseyside.
Liverpool treated like Everton, only rather worse. Remarkable double. Beecham a bitter pill. And what of Pope?

The one great “double” occupying the minds of sportsmen in South-west London is not the possible winners of the Grand National and the Lincoln, but Fulham’s remarkable achievement in ousting the second of Liverpool’s First Division sides from the Football Cup Competition.

This second victory was no fluke. Liverpool were fairly and squarely beaten by a team who played football of a high order, and who were not in the least awed by the might of their opponents. The hopes of the Mersey, therefore, are buried at Craven Cottage, hard by Father Thames.

I never wish to see a better match. There was an abidance of thrills from start to finish.

Each man went wholeheartedly into his work, and there were some delightful movements by both sides which produced many pulse throbbing moments. And how the crowd cheered! Fulham must have derived a lot of inspiration from the ringing shouts of their loyal supporters, who stuck to the club when things were going all wrong and are now reaping their reward.

We saw a new Pape on Saturday – a Cup-tie Pape. This energic young man bustled the Liverpool defence in a way reminiscent of Harry Hampton. He was always dangerous, and none knew it better than Lucas and Mackinlay. Pape may be somewhat crude, but he scored two valuable goals. The first came in four minutes when Harris skipped along the win from Craig’s clever pass and crossed a perfect centre. Pape seized on the ball after Mackinlay had failed to clear, and his shot had Elisha Scott well beaten.

It may be that this goal rather damped Liverpool’s enthusiasm, for Fulham were well on top, and Beecham did not have a shot of any sort to stop for the next twenty minutes. Then an accident happened. Dyer and Probert had gone to make a clearance about the halfway line, and Dyer kicked the ball against his colleague. Forshaw, always an opportunist, snapped up the rebound and ran on to beat Beecham and equalise. Five minutes before the interval the Cottagers went ahead again, and Elisha Scott will forever remember this goal.

Harris had sent over another delightful centre, which Penn tapped with the side of his foot. It looked an innocent sort of attempt to score, but Scott made a terrific Dempsey-like punch at the ball, missed, and it dropped into the net. A football tragedy for Scott and Liverpool, and in my view, the turning point of the game.

Fulham’s third goal, ten minutes after the re-start, was the result of a free kick from near the touch-line, Pape husting the ball over the line. Although Fulham were then two goals ahead, Liverpool fought back splendidly, and the Cottagers had their backs to the wall for most of the remaining period. The halves and backs worked like heroes, and Beecham caused raptures of delight with some dazzling saves. First he dived at a great foot-high shot from Forshaw and saved. Then a beautiful effort by T. Scott was repulsed by a hitch-like spring and catch. Soon afterwards Forshaw again looked all over a scorer, but this remarkable boy of nineteen flung himself full length and pushed the ball around the post. Liverpool claimed a goal on one occasion when the alleged that Fulham’s McNab had booted the ball out after it had crossed the line. The referee decided otherwise.

With ten minutes to go Liverpool put on the fullest pressure, but they could not break down Fulham’s defence. Five minutes – two minutes – then came the end. Hats were lost in the cheering. Beecham was again “chaired” across the ground by the excited crowd, and there was a wonderful climax to a remarkable game.
(Daily Express, 01-02-1926)


  1. Brilliant article – note the paper referred to ‘Merseyside’. I had this discussion a few weeks ago when I referred to ‘fans from Merseyside’ when writing about a tour to Germany in 1967. It was pointed out to me that the county of Merseyside wasn’t created until 1974, but I argued that the term had been used for many years in general, and used the example of Radio Merseyside first broadcasting in 1967. The earliest use of the term Merseyside I have seen is in a Daily Post article from May 1925, in which a magistrate said that Liverpool was a ‘crime blackspot on Merseyside’.

    1. The earliest use of Merseyside I have found is from 1865, “Bishop of Merseyside.” Then there is no mentioning of Merseyside until 1881 again.

      In a Nottingham paper for 1896 LFC is described as the new power house in football on Merseyside.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.