Liverpool v Everton 1-0 (Liverpool Cup Final: May 10, 1930)

May 10, 1930
Match: Liverpool Cup, Final, at Anfield, kick off: 15:15.
Liverpool – Everton 1-0 (0-0).
Attendance: 8,000.
Referee: Mr. J. Ainsworth; linesmen: Messrs. A. Manslow and E. Stringfellow.
Liverpool (2-3-5): Arthur Riley, Robert Done, John Charlton, Tom Morrison, Norman James, Charlie Thompson, Harold Barton, Harry Race, Jimmy Smith, Dave Wright, Gordon Gunson.
Everton (2-3-5): Ted Sagar, Ted Common, William O’Donnell, Tom Robson, Joe McClure, Byran, Ted Critchley, White, Dixie Dean, George Martin, Jimmy Stein.
The goal: 1-0 Wright (67 min.).

Everton went out of their 1929-30 season in characteristic fashion – their misforunates continued to the last gasp of the over-plus season. They lost the Liverpool Cup final at Anfield by a goal to none, and Critchley was off the field for most of the second half through injury.

Riley was, however, their greatest barrier; he made some telling saves against Dean, Martin, and others, and held up the Liverpool defence while the home side was being severely tested. Riley’s reach stood him in good stead, and after Critchley had tried his leg in the second half for a couple of minutes he retired, and thereafter, in spite of a brave show by Everton, Liverpool drove in some good shots, Sagar being a competent goalkeeper. Wright beat him at three-quarter time, however, and this was the only goal of the day. It was a capital game, and Liverpool rounded off some of their smart passing on the left wing with full drives, but Wright was not on the mark, and was chiefly notable for his scheming. This was a point upon which Martin earned praise –he was tireless in the second half when wheeling round opponents, and another feature was the way the local centre half-back James stood to attention against Dean, who was playing for the first time for some weeks, and was captain of the side. Dean’s heading was better than at any previous point of this season, and one shot he made brought out the full strength of Riley‘s masterly. Everton went away without a goal, and this was the first time they had failed to score in the last ten games.

Both sides brought into the game a number of their minor men, and James was the one outstanding success, though Charlton did well at full back and Thompson was useful at half-back. The home right wing pair did not dovetail with good result, and could not be compared with Gunson and Wright. Smith, who received knock, misfired too frequently, while Stein had the chances to win the game early on. White showed his versatility by going to outside right in the second half. He a strong player and has a number of tricks to recommend him. It is football craft all the time with him.

The spectators to the number of about 8,000 stayed on after the game to see the representation of the cup. This act was performed in the dressing room below by Mr. J.H. Hayes M.P., and the crowds were rather petulant that they had not been permitted to see the trophy or the representation. The police had a little difficulty in dealing with them and they stayed on needlessly for some time, refusing to take the advice of Superintendent Hughes that there would not be a public presentation.
(Liverpool Post and Mercury: May 12, 1930)

The Liverpool F.C. goalscorer, Dave Wright (sketch from Sunderland Daily Echo, July 26 – 1934).
Dave Wright Liverpool F.C.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.