A little boy in a red shirt and white knickers

May 1, 1933
Amazing scenes were witnessed in Liverpool last night when the Everton football team, winners of the Football Association Cup, returned home with the trophy.

When Dixie Dean, the captain, and his fellow players emerged from Lime-street Station in the same coach in which the winning Everton team of 1906 rode and with the same driver, Mr. Jack Pagenham, many thousands of people greeted them with tremendous cheering, which was carried on by the crowds lining the route to the Town Hall.

As the coach and four passed the Liverpool Press Club Dean, who was holding the Cup aloft, turned it in the direction of a balcony on which was Mr. George Dobson, who was captain of the Everton team of 1885-86. Mr. Dobson is now 70 years of age.

A woman on a stretcher in a doorway partially raised herself as the coach passed, gave a feeble cheer, and then fainted.

The streets surrounding the Town Hall were so densely packed that it was estimated that there were 300,000 people.

The players were given a civic reception by the Lord Mayor (Mr. Alfred Gates), as they entered the building to go to a balcony to show the Cup to the crowd. When Sagar, the goalkeeper was passing into the building he saw a little boy wearing the Liverpool Football Club colours – red shirt and white knickers. He took him by the hand and led him on to the balcony where he was placed on the ledge and the mass of people cheered as Dean allowed the boy to hold one of the handles of the trophy.

The Everton captain thanked the people for their magnificent reception and he caused great laughter when he declared “if Everton go on winning these honours we will have to enter for the Grand National and the Derby.”

After the Everton party had been entertained to champagne and sandwiches they re-entered the coach, and were driving through the crowd-lined streets to the ground at Goodison Park where another 70,000 people were waiting.

There was another storm of cheering as Dean exhibited the Cup in the flood-lit ground.
During the procession ambulance men were frequently called upon to assist fainting people and three women were taken to hospital, where they recovered after treatment.
(Source: Nottingham Evening Post: May 2, 1933)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.