Sweeping victory for Newcastle

January 1, 1934
Liverpool opened the New Year programme at St. James’ Park this afternoon and having won at Anfield Road a week ago, Newcastle were provided with the opportunity of registering their first “double” of the season.

The Tynesiders made one change from the side defeated at Portsmouth on Saturday, McPhillips appearing in goal for the injured Albert McInroy, who thus missed his first game. There were about 15,000 present at the start. The ground was in a wretched condition and foothold was difficult.

Newcastle United: William McPhillips, Jimmy Nelson, David Fairhurst, David Bell, Alec Betton, John Murray, Jimmy Boyd, Jimmy Richardson, Ron Williams, Sam Weaver, Tommy Lang.
Liverpool: Elisha Scott, Willie Steel, Robert Done, Tom Morrison, Tom Bradshaw, Archie Macpherson, Berry Nieuwenhuys, Harold Taylor, Tom Bush, Syd Roberts, Alf Hanson.

Liverpool were the first to advance, but they were easily repelled and within three minutes Newcastle had taken the lead. Lang made a good progress on the left and with a well-placed centre found Richardson, who coolly placed the ball past Scott. Newcastle immediately returned to the attack from the kick-off, and Scott saved well from Richardson.

Williams was going through when pulled up for offside. The Tynesiders continued to press strongly and again Scott was prominent when he tipped a dangerous centre from Boyd over the bar at the expense of a corner. The approach work of the home forwards was a big improvement on recent home games and their clever passing completely tied up the visiting defence.

Scott again conceded two corners from splendid scoring efforts by Weaver and Boyd. Liverpool attempted progress on the left, but McPhillips was well covered and the raid fizzled out weakly. Weaver missed a glorious opportunity of increasing a pass down the middle and dashed unchallenged to the Liverpool goal, but on trying to find the corner of the net he fired inches wide.

The Liverpool forwards were having a very lean time, but the defence was fully occupied, and a well-placed corner kick by Lang was cleared. Newcastle came again, and a centre by Boyd was met by Williams. The ball was passed to Weaver, whose shot was deflected by Steel. After 25 minutes Liverpool equalised. During one of the spasmodic raids Taylor beat McPhillips from 12 yards’ range. It was more than the Merseysiders deserved on the run of play. Liverpool, however, did not long keep on equality.

Newcastle continued to press and at the end of 30 minutes Weaver atoned for his previous failure by scoring a fine goal. Richardson cleverly tricked Bradshaw and gave Weaver, who, with a fine right-foot drive, completely beat Scott. In a further attack Boyd shot into Scott’s hands. After 38 minutes’ play Liverpool got another lucky equaliser. Betton in attempting to put the ball up midfield mishit and the ball travelled in the wrong direction. It struck the upright and glanced into the net.

Newcastle tried hard to recapture their lead as the interval approached and after Steel had held up Weaver, a great shot by Boyd was cleverly stopped by Scott at the foot of the post. Scott again saved his side when he went full length to a drive from Weaver who cleverly outwitted Steel and let blaze with his left foot as he slipped to the ground.

Liverpool were a very fortunate side to be on terms at the interval. They had never really troubled the Newcastle defence and in their only two raids had found the Newcastle net. On the other hand Scott was the Merseysiders’ saviour and the veteran goalkeeper defied the rampant home forwards in truly heroic manner.

The Newcastle attack was soon busy on resuming and a clever burst by Weaver resulted in Scott going down to a ground shot which he cleared with wonderful coolness. Newcastle eased up a trifle and the game took on a drab aspect for a while. Boyd secured possession but his shot was brilliantly saved by Scott.

After 60 minutes Newcastle took a well-deserved lead when Richardson scored with a low drive just outside the penalty area. Scott made a gallant attempt, but was well beaten. Seven minutes later further success fell to Newcastle when Boyd met a centre from Weaver and headed into the net. Liverpool were overplayed and a fifth goal was scored by Weaver following good work by Boyd.

Newcastle were finding their long passes a playing proposition. Boyd took a pass from Richardson and dropped over a centre for Williams to beat Scott all ends up. Three minutes later Lang added a seventh goal after good work between himself and Weaver. Weaver scored his third goal when he dashed in to meet a centre from Boyd, and had Scott helpless. Richardson scored a ninth five minutes from time.

This was Newcastle’s day out. The total would certainly have been greater but for Scott’s heroic goalkeeping. Never has a team been more outplayed at St. James’ Park, and it was a case of Newcastle tea versus Scott.
(Source: Sunderland Daily Echo: January 1, 1934; via http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk) © 2018 Findmypast Newspaper Archive Limited

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.