Burnley “A” v Liverpool “A” 0-3 (League match: January 5, 1937)

January 5, 1937
Match: Northern Mid Week League, at Turf Moor.
Burnley “A” – Liverpool “A” 0-3 (0-2).
Referee: Mr. J.A. Christy (Ashton-on-Ribble).
Burnley (2-3-5): Ken Ashbridge; John Oliver, Jack Marshall; Henry Pinkerton, Pickering, John Hindmarsh; H.C. Curtis, Tom Storey, John Gastall, E. Oliver, Flanagan.
Liverpool (2-3-5): Dirk Kemp, Robert Whittle, Matt Fitzsimmons, Ray Lambert, Tom Bush, Keith Peters, John Shafto, Harold Taylor, Jimmy Collins, Stan Eastham, John Hutchinson.
The goals: 0-1 Taylor (10 min.), 0-2 Eastham (42 min.), 0-3 Hutchinson (87 min.).

Burnley’s Northern Mid-Week League team showed very disappointing form against Liverpool at Turf Moor yesterday, and the visitors secured a three clear goals’ win.

The exchanges were fairly even in the first half, but Burnley’s advances were seldom dangerous, due to the keen tackling of Liverpool’s big sturdy defenders, amongst whom Bush was re-appearing after a lengthy absence through injury. H. Taylor wasted a good chance of giving Liverpool an early lead when he shot over from close range. When Kemp was hesitant in coming out to meet a loose ball that seemed to be running wide, Gastall nipped in and endeavoured to hook the ball into the net, but it flashed across the empty goal. When Liverpool advanced again, Collins forced his way past Pickering, but his shot was straight at the Burnley ‘keeper, who saved.

After 10 minutes H. Taylor put the visitors ahead with a low shot.

Burnley tried hard to wipe out the deficit, and Kemp turned out a header from Gastall, but, generally speaking, the finishing of the Burnley leader and his colleagues was unimpressive. At the other end, Ashbridge stopped a good drive from Hutchinson, but he was helpless when S. Eastham scored shortly before the interval.

Play was practically confined to Liverpool’s half of the field after the interval, but the excellence of Kemp in goal prevented Burnley from pressing home the advantage. He saved well from Gastall, Hindmarsh and H.C. Curtis. Three minutes before the finish Liverpool were awarded another goal. Ashbridge dived to deflect a centre from Hutchinson and the ball struck Marshall and rebounded into the net.
(Burnley Express: January 6,  1937)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.