Bristol Rovers v Liverpool 1-2 (Charity match)

Tuesday, May 4 – 1937
Match: Benefit for the Lord Mayor’s Hospital Extension Fund, at Eastville, kick-off: 18:00.
Bristol Rovers – Liverpool 1-2 (1-1).
Attendance: 1,330.
Bristol Rovers (2-3-5): Joe Nicholls, Bill Pickering, George Tweed, Bert Watson, Jock McLean, Wally McArthur, Albert Butterworth, Ray Warren, Brennan, G. Smith, Les Sullivan.
Liverpool (2-3-5): Dirk Kemp, Tommy Cooper, Benjamin Dabbs, Fred Howe, Tom Bush, Jim Harley, Berry Nieuwenhuys, Phil Taylor, Harry Eastham, Jack Balmer, John Browning.
The goals: 0-1 Nieuwenhuys, 1-1 Brennan, 1-2 Nieuwenhuys.

One thousand three hundred spectators, including ticket holders saw Liverpool beat Bristol Rovers by two goals to one in the Bristol Hospital Cup match at Eastville, last evening. This annual event, which is staged for the benefit of the Lord Mayor’s Hospital Extension Fund, provided an entertaining exhibition, and was contested in a sporting care-free manner, befitting the occasion.

In spite of the fact that the Lord Mayor (Mr. A.F. Moon), spent a strenuous afternoon presiding at an important City Council meeting, he hurried to the Rovers Ground to see the early stages of the game.
Liverpool gave a fine display of ball control, and had their shooting been as accurate as their general work, they would have won by a big margin.

The first half was the more interesting, but the outstanding feature throughout was the demonstration by the First Division side of how to make use of wing men.

What is more important, the wing men – Nieuwenhuys, in particular – carried matters a stage further by showing how to turn passes to advantage.

The fleet-footed Nieuwenhuys scored both goals for the winners, and the manner in which he “killed” the ball, or took a high ball on his head while still running forward, was a delight to watch.

The other high-lights provided by the Liverpool side came from Cooper, at right back, and Bush, the centre half, who gave sound displays of defensive work. They positioned themselves with remarkable anticipation and blotted out the Rovers’ attack.

Joe Nicholls made many fine saves for the Rovers, while McLean and Tweed defended soundly. In the second half especially, McArthur and Smith came through their duels well with Nieuwenhuys and Phil Taylor.
The Rovers’ most prominent forward was Butterworth, who frequently outwitted the Liverpool defence, and finished off his moves with a number of well directed shots.

The scores were level at half time. Nieuwenhuys netted first and Brennan equalised. Early in the second half the former scored what proved to be the winning goal.

After the match the officials and players of the clubs were entertained to dinner at the Berkeley Café, when the cup was presented to the winners, and medals to the players.
The dinner was followed by a dance.
(Western Daily Press, 05-05-1937)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.