Death of Arthur Kingscott

June 19, 1937
Death of Long Eaton ex-referee.
Famous football personality.
Mr. Arthur Kingscott, of Nether Field, New Sawley, Long Eaton, former treasurer to the Football Association, and one of the greatest football personalities in the country, died in a Nottingham nursing home on Saturday, aged 74.

He was taken ill on Tuesday and entered the home for an operation, which was performed on Thursday. He had a relapse on Friday from which he never rallied.

Mr. Kingscott was a leading referee for 20 years, and took charge of two cup finals, in 1900 and 1901.

Midland League President.
For many years he was treasurer, a post he relinquished in 1933.

He was president of the Midland League for many years.

The selection of his son Mr. A.H. Kingscott to referee the Cup Final in 1931 created a remarkable record. Never before had father and son taken charge of these games.

Mr. Kingscott became a member of the FA in 1893, and subsequently earned a name for consistent activity in the council chamber.

He was a member of the International Selection Committee, and was in charge of England International teams which toured European countries and Canada. As one of the chief officials of the FA, he often acted in company with Sir Charles Clegg and Sir Frederick Wall as escort to King George V at final ties, when the players were presented on the field to the late Majesty.

Sawley Churchwarden.
A native of Sawley, Mr. Kingscott was by profession an auditor for the L.M.S. Company, from which post he retired eight years ago. He was a member of Sawley Parish Church for 62 years.

He joined as chorister and passed through all the laymen’s offices to that of Vicar’s Warden, which he held at the time of his death. In addition to other interests he was chairman of the Sawley School Managers Charities, and past master of the Old Priory Lodge of Freemasons, Beeston.

Mr. Kingscott was the central figure in an episode which had wide publicity in 1933. This culminated in his being asked by the Football Association Council to resign. He complied with this request, made as the result of the finding of a special committee which inquired into a complaint against him made by the Association of Football League Referees and Linesmen.

Cup Final Complaint.
The complaint referred to an incident at the Cup Final of 1933, when Mr. Kingscott chose the ball – a duty usually carried out by the referee. The committee unanimously found that Mr. Kingscott used words attributed to him, and that they improperly reflected on the honour of past Cup Final referees.

Mr. Kingscott emphatically protested against the decision of the council, saying that he had been asked to withdraw a statement he never made.

The funeral will take place at Sawley Parish Church at 1 p.m., tomorrow.
(Derby Daily Telegraph: June 21, 1937)

Arthur Kingscott, football referee (source: Star Green ‘un: October 11, 1913).


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.