May 17, 1939
Mr. John Baynton, whose death has occurred at Alfreton, Derbyshire, in his eightieth year, was one of the founders of Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club, for which he played for twelve years. In addition, he had held office at different periods as captain, secretary and treasurer.
A native of Rustock, Worcestershire, he was only on year old when his parents took over Lodge Farm, Goldthorn Hill, Wolverhampton. He attended St. Luke’s School, where he and other boys were taught the game by Mr. John Brodie, who learned the principles of the game while training as a teacher at Saltley College.
With Mr. Brodie, he formed St. Luke’s F.C., and they played on a field at Lodge Farm in 1877. Baynton played back and acted as captain. Ground difficulties, however, caused the club to amalgamate with the Wanderers Cricket Club, and in 1881 the new club was playing football regularly on a ground in Dudley Road.
Baynton retired from the game in 1889, the year the Wanderers’ ground at Molineux was opened. He played in every position in the team and, though never capped, was in the team at a time when there were eight international playing. He had a tremendous kick, an once scored a goal in a FA Cup-tie against Oswestry Town from ninety-seven yards.
He decided to retire in 1883, but two years later was persuaded to keep goal in a Staffordshire Senior Cup-tie against West Bromwich Albion at the Stoney Lane Ground, and did so well that he was carried shoulder high when the Wanderers had won 2-0.
He continued to play in goal, and his last match was in the FA Cup final against Preston North End at the Oval in 1889, when Preston won 3-0.
Baynton, like Brodie, was a school teacher. He started at St. Luke’s as a pupil teacher, and after a short period at All Saints’ School, Hockley, Birmingham, returned to St. Luke’s as assistant master. Later he joined his brother in Wolverhampton, D. Smith and Co., but subsequently was with Bayliss, Jones and Bayliss, Ltd., for twenty-three years.
He has resided for some years with his daughter and son-in-law in Alfreton.
(Birmingham Daily Post: May 22, 1939).