Liverpool v Everton 2-2 (War time, League match)

Saturday, May 31 – 1941
Match: Football League, Northern Section, at Anfield, kick-off: 15:00
Liverpool – Everton 2-2 (0-1).
Attendance: 6,000.
Referee: Mr. J.M.Brown (Ormskirk).
Liverpool (2-3-5): Alf Hobson, Ray Lambert, Kenneth Seddon, Harry Kaye, Dennis Cooke, Eddie Spicer, Billy Liddell, Bob Paisley, Willie Fagan, Cyril Done, Alf Hanson.
Everton (2-3-5): Percy Lovett, Billy Cook, Norman Greenhalgh, Stan Bentham, Tommy Jones, Gordon Watson, Wally Boyes, Joe Mercer, Harry Catterick, Alex Stevenson, Jack Lyon.
The goals: 0-1 Mercer (15 min.), 1-1 Liddell (47 min.), 2-1 Done (69 min.), 2-2 Bentham (80 min.).

Derby game drawn
Fast and clever forward play featured the League meeting of Liverpool and Everton at Anfield that ended in a draw of two goals each, a result to the satisfaction of most of the crowd of 6,000. From start to finish it was a thrilling and fast struggle, with the extremes wing men Hanson and Liddell (Liverpool) and Boyes (Everton) playing a prominent part throughout.

With the forwards in such excellent form the defenders were naturally at full stretch, and Seddon, Lambert, Spicer, Cook and Hobson did much grand work in the home defence when Everton were attacking most, while Lovett, Cook, Watson, and Jones stood out for Everton when Liverpool got on top later.

Everton took the first half honours when they did most of the attacking and obtained the lead after 15 minutes through Mercer, who leapt high into the air to head home from Boyes’s corner kick as Hobson reached for the ball, while the goalkeeper was fortunate not to be beaten again when Catterick caught him out of position, but saw Lambert clear off the line.

Liverpool took up the running after the interval, and within two minutes had drawn level when Liddell cleverly hooked the ball beyond Lovett after a fine run and centre by Hanson. It was left winger who was also responsible for Liverpool taking the lead, for it was a perfect Hanson centre that enabled Done to score in 69 minutes.

Undismayed by this sudden turn around, Everton rallied again and got their reward when Bentham who had changed places with Mercer, beat Hobson from close range ten minutes from the end. Throughout the whole of the ninety minutes there was not a dull moment, and all the players are to be congratulated on serving up a grand display, which if appeared in the return game at Goodison Park today, will satisfy everyone.
(Liverpool Daily Post, 02-06-1941)

Apparently the prevailing conditions cannot take the glamour away from Merseyside “Derby” clashes between Liverpool and Everton. The rivals came together at Anfield on Saturday, and brought a rousing 2-2 draw –the only draw of the day. There was a refreshing bite about the proceedings and plenty of good football. Yes and the result was a pretty fair reflection I am assured by Watcher. Liverpool fought back gradually after being behind to Joe Mercer first half goal, to take a goal lead per Billy Liddell and Cyril Done, who are the Reds’ regular scorers these days. Stan Bentham saved the day for the Blues, when he was fortunate enough to get a record chance, with the opening after once being crowded out.
(Evening Express, 02-06-1941)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.