August 30, 1941
Liverpool is a great “organ” city, and in St. George’s Hall and the Cathedral has two of the world’s finest modern organs; so it seems worth recalling that it is just four hundred years since the earliest mention of a Liverpool organ.
It was, in fact, in 1541 that the Assembly of Burgesses agreed “that there shall be hired a clerke that can synge his playne song and play on the organ.” It can safely be assumed that the organ referred to was situated in St. Nicholas’s Church.
Once, by the way, the Corporation tried the experiment of installing an organ in the Town Hall itself. That was in 1822, when a new organ was being provided for St. George’s Church (which stood on the site of the present Victoria Monument). The old one was re-erected in the Town Hall ballroom; but it remained there, apparently, only for eighteen months, after which it was removed to give greater space for a ball on behalf of local charities. The appointment of a Corporation (now city) organist dates from 1855.
(Source: Liverpool Echo: August 30, 1941)