Everton on top against Liverpool

November 3, 1941
Everton came out of the Derby game a goal better than their neighbours, Liverpool, for in the return match at Goodison Park, they won 5-3, as against Liverpool’s 3-2 victory, at Anfield. Everton won the return because they stayed the course the better.

They had to face up to a Liverpool goal in the first half-minute, yet were on level terms at the half-stage. If we could have games like this each week there would be a big uplift in attendances.

Liverpool, playing sound and effective football, gave Everton a great deal of trouble, but while the winners met Liverpool’s thrust and parry with some smart midfield play, they were not too sure in front of goal, but were capable of sharing the honours at the interval.

It was something of a blow to the Blues to find themselves a goal in arrears within half a minute of the start through a faulty pass by Mercer which enabled Nieuwenhuys to stride forward and present Done with an easy chance but, within 15 minutes Bentham had levelled matters.

There was no doubt there was a pre-war keenness about the match, the old “Derby” feeling was rife among the spectators and when Everton took the lead at 36 minutes the cheering brought back happy memories, Bentham again was the scorer, but just before the interval Liddell was left alone as he strode towards goal to score what I considered the best goal of the match.

Done had previously had a goal disallowed, and he nodded the ball into the net just as the whistle sounded for the interval, It had been grand fare.

Great Saves
When Bentham netted 3 minutes after the interval the second half promised another tense “45” but Bentham’s point was disallowed for offside.

Much to the sparkle went out of the Anfielders play.

Hobson made two great saves, T. Jones and Cook before Owen and Liddell missed simple chances, but the promised Everton goals came when Jones scored at 82 minutes and Bentham obtained his third a few minutes later.

Done reduced Everton’s lead from what appeared an offside position – he took a forward pass from Liddell.

Lyon, however, scored a couple of minutes before the end.

The last ten minutes had produced 4 goals it was a fighting finish.

Liverpool failed to stay the pace they had set in the opening half, but they went down fighting. I Put Stevenson well in front of all others. He had admirable backing from Mercer. Bentham, Jones (T.), and his full backs.

I liked Carney’s enthusiasm. Done’s determination –he has improved since I last saw him –and Liddell, who often outwitted the experienced Cooke.

Result: Everton 5, Liverpool 3.

Attendance: 14,400. Receipts: £810.

Everton: George Burnett, Billy Cook, Norman Greenhalgh, Joe Mercer, Tommy Jones, Gordon Watson, Wally Owen, Stan Bentham, Harry Jones, Alex Stevenson, Jack Lyon.
Liverpool: Alf Hobson, Ray Lambert, Bernard Ramsden, Len Carney, Bill Whittaker, Harry Kaye, Berry Nieuwenhuys, Willie Fagan, Cyril Done, Dick Dorsett, Billy Liddell.
Referee: Mr. J.N. Brown (Liverpool).
(Liverpool Daily Post: November 3, 1941; via http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk) © 2018 Findmypast Newspaper Archive Limited


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.