Everton v Liverpool 4-4 (League match: September 19, 1942

September 19, 1942
Match: Football League, Northern Section, at Goodison Park, kick-off: 15:15.
Everton – Liverpool 4-4 (3-1).
Attendance: 17,000.
Referee: Mr. H. Holt (Rochdale).
Everton (2-3-5): George Burnett, Billy Cook, Jack Jones, Stan Bentham, Tommy Jones, Gordon Watson, George Jackson, George Mutch (Preston North End), Harry Jones (West Bromwich Albion), Alex Stevenson, Alf Anderson (Third Lanark).
Liverpool (2-3-5): Alf Hobson, Jack Westby, Roy Guttridge (Aston Villa), Harry Kaye, Eric Keen (Derby County), Jack Pilling, Billy Liddell, Dick Dorsett (Wolverhampton Wanderers), George Mills, Cyril Done, Michael Hulligan.
The goals: 1-0 Mutch (10 min.), 2-0 Jackson (12 min.), 2-1 Done (21 min.), 3-1 H. Jones (26 min.), 3-2 Dorsett (50 min.), 4-2 H. Jones (67 min.), 4-3 Liddell (85 min.), 4-4 Dorsett (pen., 88 min.).

Thrilling derby
There was quite a crowd to see the return Derby game between Everton and Liverpool at Goodison Park. Liddell showed his quick brain when he seemed to nip in from nowhere and almost caught the Everton defence napping, but was finally beaten in the last fraction of a second.

The Liverpool goal had an escape when Harry Jones beat Westby and flashed the ball across the Liverpool goalmouth. The ball hit Guttridge and if Hobson had not kept his eye on it he would have been beaten. He made a great save – great because of the deflection which might easily have caught a less wary goalkeeper unprepared. Liddell had been the danger spot of Liverpool’s attack, and he attempted a shot, an angular one, which was cannoned away.

Mutch and Jackson.
Everton had played in better style. There was more cohesion about them, and at ten minutes they got their reward, Mutch scoring with a great shot which left the whole of the Liverpool defence dumbfounded. Jackson’s corner kick was a poor one, for it only reached half-way between the goal and the corner flag a little bit back, I’ll admit. Mutch collected the ball, and without the slightest hesitation crashed it into the Liverpool net, Hobson having no chance.

Mutch came along with another fine shot, which Hobson saved. At twelve minutes Everton had increased their lead to two goals when Jackson shot from what appeared an impossible angle, the ball eluding a number of players and landing in the far corner of the net.

Everton form after this was brilliant. Their forwards linked up one with another to great effect and Mutch and Bentham went close with good efforts. Liverpool had been so much on the defensive that little was seen of their attack, but when did launch a forward movement it resulted in an injury to T. Jones, who had to leave the field for a time.

Done Replies.
At 20 minutes a quick burst through by the Liverpool forwards found Done in possession. This strong aggressive inside forward ran close in before he finally beat Burnett. He nearly did it again in the next minute, the ball just hitting the outside edge of the upright. Everton were playing like a real Everton team. It was quite their best form of the season.

At twenty-six minutes Everton scored a third goal through a perfect length corner kick taken by Anderson. He swept the ball right across the Liverpool goalmouth, where H. Jones was waiting to nod it into the net.

Mills missed a possible and then tested Burnett, while Stevenson called upon Hobson with an oblique shot. Liddell was the star of the Liverpool side, and there was always danger when he was in possession. He once made a brilliant run and offered a chance to himself, when cannon ball shot crashed up against Jones’s body and away from the target. T. Jones made a sensational save when he back the ball straight off Dorsett’s toe as the latter was about to shoot.

Half-time: Everton 3, Liverpool 1.

The second half opened with a Stevenson shot, but Liverpool got into one of their brightest moods, and by open football took play into Everton territory.

Dorsett Demonstrated.
Dorsett found himself all alone well inside the penalty area, and the Everton people, a shot from such distance, stood waiting to see what the Wolves player would do, Dorsett elected to shoot, but even than there seemed little prospect of a goal, for Burnett moved to the ball. But he seemed to change his mind, at the last second and stood still. The ball dropped into the centre of the goal at 50 minutes.

With the score now 3-2 in Everton’s favour, the game became even more trilling than ever. Liverpool promised to get an equaliser, particularly when Liddell cut in and shot across the face of the goal. Everton were not so dominating now, in fact Liverpool had rallied to some purpose and the Everton defence was often hard push to stay off Liverpool’s attack. There was an appeal for a penalty when Liddlell tripped over T. Jones leg, the referee ignored the claim and rightly too. H. Jones scored a scramming sort of goal for Everton.
(Liverpool Echo, 19-09-1942)


Liverpool’s rally
Having seen most of the Merseyside “derby” games I think I can speak with authority, and I rate Saturday’s game at Goodison Park – a draw 4-4 – as one of the best of the long series. It was a spectators match “chock full of thrills”, some excellent football, and Liverpool demonstrated their fighting spirit to get on terms when they seemed likely to suffer their first defeat of the season.

With twelve of thirteen minutes remaining for play Everton were sitting in the high place with a lead of two goals and were playing so well within themselves that it did not seem possible that their lead could be damaged, but Liverpool are famed for their enthusiasm, -their will to fight to the end – and it was their determination which enabled them to force a draw.

They got their last goal in the last minute. In this tense struggle there was everything that football can provide; good play and eight goals. Everton’s first-half display was up to championship standard, and they had Liverpool throttled down so securely that they promised to run out comfortable winners.

They played as a team; no man sought the limelight to the exclusion of a colleague and the result was perfect harmony, high-class combination which made the game a joy to watch. Even the Liverpool spectators had to hand it out to their rivals. The whole team dovetailed as in their championship days.

Fast and Accurate Play
Play was fast yet exceedingly accurate and inside twelve minutes Everton had taken a lead of two goals by perfect football. Liverpool could not get their attack into action, because their half-backs and backs were too busily engaged. Mutch opened the scoring at ten minutes, with a great drive and two minutes later Jackson had added a second with an oblique shot.

Then at 21 minutes a Jackson pass back let in Done, who ran through to beat Burnett. This brought Liverpool more into the game, and for a time their promised an equaliser, but the Everton defence stood firm in their attacks, and having weathered the short storm H. Jones headed the ball from Anderson’s corner kick into the net.

Done and Mills had opportunities to reduce the margin, but missed their way, although Done was unfortunate to rattle the ball against the outer edge of the upright with Burnett beaten. So the first half ended with Everton in what appeared a sound position and they opened the second half, a confidence and a shot by Stevenson was a find one.

But Liverpool were not to be shaken of so easily and at fifty minutes they brought the score to 2-3 by a Dorsett goal. The Wolverhampton player seemed to wait a tackle, which, however, never came, so the elected to shoot, not a very hard one, and Burnett started to move to the ball, but suddenly stopped and the ball hurtled into the net.

Liddell’s Great Goal.
Liverpool at this point battled magnificently, but another Jones goal restored Everton’s lead, and the possibility of Liverpool catching up seemed small.

It was then that Liddell came into his own. He had been well handled by Watson and J. Jones up to this but he suddenly sprang to his best and when he is in that form he can baffle and beat the best of defenders. He got on top of Watson and Jones, and the superlative ball play went through to ram home a swift shot. Burnett did not see the ball until he went to the back of the net to pick it out.

With the score – 4-3 the excitement was intense for there were only a few minutes to go. But Liverpool were on their mettle. They saw a chance of pulling the game out of the fire, and they swept forward, and Done going through when he was fouled in the penalty area. One could almost have heard a pin drop when Dorsett went up to take the penalty kick. He made no mistake and the roar which greeted this goal was pre-war like.

It was a fitting finish to a fine game, Liverpool may have been a trifle fortunate to save their unbeaten-record, but every credit is due to them for their valiant fight back.

From a Liverpool point of view it was Liddell’s match. Everton’s success rested with Mutch – his best game for Everton – and Stevenson, but it was as a team that they impressed.
(Liverpool Daily Post, 21-09-1942)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.