Liverpool through to Cup final

May 1, 1943
Liverpool had the assistance of several new guest players for their Lancashire Cup semi-final with Bolton Wanderers at Anfield today. They were Mather and Woodruff, of Burnley; Livingstone, of Bury; and Pearson, of Newcastle.

Bolton were forced to make many changes and Crossley, the inside right, was signed only a few minutes before the match. The Wanderers started three goals down on this second leg, and the winners meet Manchester United in the final next week, the first match being on their ground.

Liverpool: Alf Hobson, Jack Westby, Harry Mather, Harry Kaye, Arthur Woodruffe, Jack Pilling, Michael Hulligan, Jack Campbell, Cyril Done, Archie Livingstone, Tommy Pearson.
Bolton Wanderers: F.H. Longman, Matt Gillies, Harry Hubbick, George Hunt, Jack Atkinson, Bert Johnson, Willie Moir, J. Crossley, Nat Lofthouse, Cliff Chadwick, H. Wright.
Referee: Mr. R. Kitts.

Liverpool opened in hurricane style, Hulligan and Pearson leading many strong raids, and Campbell, Hulligan and Done had shots just off the mark, before Pearson raced through and delivered a perfect centre up to the far post. Hulligan was finely position, but he got too far under the ball.

Gillies came across to rob Done as the leader was streaking through, and it was only some magnificent attacks, carried out with amazing speed.

Opening goal.
Longman twice came out to clear courageously, but was beaten in 13 minutes, when Done brought down what was intended to be a clearance header by Gillies and placed low into the net. Longman touched the ball but could not stop its progress.

Longman came out to dive as the feet of the in-running Done to save a certain goal.

The Wanderers’ defences was magnificent, and their forwards, although finding it hard to shake off the Reds’ half-backs, contributed some nice football and Wright went close before Hobson picked up a header from Chadwick.

The 10,000 spectators were certainly getting their full share of the thrills.

The Wanderers’ showed improvement, and Crossley had bad luck with a header which was deflected, before Moir shot inches by the far post.

Livingstone went close with two shots, as Liverpool’s lively forwards continued to batter a grand Bolton defence.

Half-time: Liverpool 1, Bolton Wanderers 0.

Liverpool restarted where they left off. Bolton’s grand defence being kept at full stretch, and they increased their lead in 53 minutes, when Done head through from Campbell’s centre.

Moir and Crossley changed places, but there was a lack of weight in the Wanderers’ attack, and apart from one good effort by Moir, which Hobson saved at full length, Woodruff and Co. had few worries.

Wright caused a thrill when he ran close in to open up the way for Lofthouse, but the leader shot straight at Hobson, who cleared.

Longman made a magnificent save off a rising shot from Pearson.

Liverpool increased their lead in 80 minutes through Pearson, who cut inside, enkisted the aid of Done, and then lobbed the return over Longman’s head.

Bolton were still finding it hard to make headway against a Liverpool side, in which Kaye was giving a great exhibition.

Done was proving a virile Liverpool leader, and now he went through on his own to shoot on the run. Longman diving to push the ball away.

The match combined to provide plenty of thrills, even if lacking artistry.

With three minutes to go, Campbell bore in to increase Liverpool’s lead from close range.

Immediately afterwards Livingstone struck the post with a magnificent shot.

Final: Liverpool 4, Bolton 0.
(Evening Express: May 1, 1943)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.