Liverpool bid for the “hat trick”

May 13, 1943
Liverpool still have a chance to register their “hat-trick” of successes this season. Last night they won – for the second season in succession – the Liverpool Senior Cup by conquering Everton with a goals aggregate of six to four on the two games. But the Reds sacrificed one proud record to their rivals, for Everton defeated them 3-2, and this was the Blues first success over Liverpool in six meetings this term.

The margin, however, was not sufficient to give Everton the consolation of a cup success. Now Liverpool go forward on Saturday in an endeavour to clinch the treble by beating Manchester United in the Lancashire cup final second “leg” at Maine road on Saturday.

Liverpool face a two goals deficit in this game, but I can tell you that skipper Billy Fagan is on leave and is certain to lead, while Kaye and Pilling will be the wing half-backs with Hobson in goal. And I can assure you that if Liverpool fight back with the same spirit and ability they revealed in the second half last night Manchester are going to have a shock.

Everton: George Burnett, George Jackson, Norman Greenhalgh, Stan Bentham, Tommy Jones, John Humphreys, Tom McKillop, Archie Livingstone, Tommy Lawton, Alex Stevenson, Jimmy McIntosh.
Liverpool: Alf Hobson, Alf Pope, Jack Westby, Joe Johnson, Frank Rist, Harry Kaye, Jack Campbell, George “Spud” Murphy, Cyril Done, Willie Fagan, Michael Hulligan.
Referee: Mr. M. Cunningham (Liverpool).

The Reds, battling back with customary zest, almost turned the tide in their favour, for they did wipe out first-half goals by Livingstone and Stevenson thanks to a welcome “double” by Welsh international Murphy. McKillop of Glasgow Rangers, who came in at outside-right for Everton as Matthews could not get leave, won the match with a fine centre.

Thrills A-Plenty
There were thrills a-plenty for the 13,000 spectators who paid £670 – a match well worth the playing – and had Everton accepted their first-half chances, when they were all over their rivals, Liverpool would not have won the Cup.

Lawton was the biggest offender in this missed chances business, and throughout Lawton was never himself, being well masterly by Rist. Livingstone started well, and I like McKillop’s ideas and moves, while McIntosh had no superior being ably fed by Stevenson.

Done was a fine Liverpool go-getter, with Fagan the sponsor and Murphy the opportunist. Liverpool provided some quick-fire football in the second half, and once Murphy had scored – just after having a goal disallowed – the Everton defence, Jones and Jackson excepted, was in a state bordering on panic. Murphy then snatched another, and it seemed as if Everton would fade out.

The Blues came again late on, however, to scrape home with a win deserved for their first ball dominance. The Reds were never seen before the change-over, but then Kaye and Johnson did some great work, and Pope was magnificent at right back. There were plenty of errors on both sides, but taking it all through this was a joyous contribution to a grand season with the result in doubt to the last second.
(Evening Express, 13-05-1943)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.