Liverpool beat Bolton 3-2

May 15, 1944
Liverpool won the Lancashire Senior Cup on Saturday when they defeated Bolton Wanderers 3-2 at Burnden Park, which brought their aggregate for the two games played to 6-3. One could not say that this was a classic match by any means.

It was hard fought, but too many chances were missed and it was not nearly so good a game as the one at Anfield. The ground conditions were against accurate football for the grass was long and underneath it were bumps and ruts.

In the first two minutes, a cross by Woodward completely baffled the Anfield defence, with the result that Lofthouse scored a good goal. A slip had opened the way for that goal. It was another slip which enabled Liverpool to wipe it off the slate when Welsh scored. Whalley miskicked and the ball was promptly sent into the middle for welsh to hit a strong left-footed drive right away from the young goalkeeper, Hall.

Then we had a succession of lost opportunities, both sides should have hit the target many times before Done, by his perseverance, brushed aside the Wanderers’ defence and shot. Hall pushed out the ball, but Done, following up rushed it back into the net; time forty two minutes.

Bolton was thus set a severe task. It was beyond them, although another goal was placed to their credit, actually scored by the Liverpool half-back Hughes. However, that goal was not important, for prior to it, Done had provided Welsh with a certain goal-scoring pass, which was accepted at eighty minutes.

Of honest endeavor there was plenty in the game, but Liverpool’s more correct style of play gained the honor.

Mr. Fred Howarth, the League secretary, presented the cup to the winners.

Bolton Wanderers: H. Hall, Bill Gorman, Harry Hubbick, Bert Whalley, Lol Hamlett, George Taylor, Tom Woodward, Jim Currier, Nat Lofthouse, Bert Johnson, Charlie McClelland.
Liverpool: Alf Hobson, Jack Westby, Jeff Gulliver, Harry Johnston (Blackpool), Laurie Hughes, Jack Pilling, Berry Nieuwenhuys, Robert Beattie (Preston North End), Cyril Done, Don Welsh, Jack Campbell.
Referee: Mr. W. Rothwell (Whitefields).
(Liverpool Daily Post: May 15, 1944; via © 2018 Findmypast Newspaper Archive Limited


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.