March 8, 1945
Liverpool had several public gymnasia in the middle part of last century, some of the buildings being erected at the expense of an anonymous benefactor in the city.
One such building was on a site at the south end of Chatsworth Street, at the corner of Smithdown Lane.
Later the gymnasia were taken over by the Corporation, but were eventually closed, after a “rowdy” element had caused injuries to several who visited the buildings.
(Evening Express: March 8, 1945)