March 13, 1945
The middle of the 17th century marked the beginning of Liverpool’s trade with the West Indies. In 1667 a London sugar baker bought a piece of land on the north side of Dale Street, between Cheapside and Moorfields, with the intention of erecting a four storey house, and a large sugar baker’s house – 40ft. square of hewn stone.
It was stated at the time that the enterprise would bring £40,000 of trade from the Barbados.
(Evening Express: March 13, 1945)