Everton v Liverpool 0-1 (League North Cup: March 31, 1945)

March 31, 1945
Key note: “Liverpool proved once again the masters of Everton, winning the return League Cup tie at Goodison by 1-0 before a record war-time crowd. Though the official attendance was 51,512 (receipts £4,251) actually there were several thousands more as one of the large gates was forced open and many got in without paying. The crowd also encroached on the pitch as one corner, and the police had a busy time clearing the touch line. Liverpool have often proved themselves best when fighting with their backs to the wall. So it was this time. Everton throughout had four-fifths of the attacking and early in the second half exercised such heavy and continuous pressure that it seemed certain they would neutralise the goal start which Liverpool enjoyed from the earlier game. Yet, do what they would, they could not shake Liverpool’s brilliant defenders. Busby, who made his unexpected appearance, inspired his colleagues by his example and coolness. Never once did Liverpool’s defence show the slightest signs of nervous. On the contrary the more Everton pressed, the more closely knit did the opposition become. They covered one another in excellent fashion, and by speedy and severe tackling, checked mated every Everton move.” (Liverpool Daily Post: April 2, 1944)

Match: Football League, North Cup, First Round, Second Leg and Lancashire Cup, Second Round, Second leg, at Goodison Park, kick-off: 15:00.
Everton – Liverpool 0-1 (0-0).
Attendance: 51,512; gate receipt: £4,251.
Referee: Mr. S. Boardman (Hale, Cheshire); linesmen: Messrs. W. Rothewell and W. Prescott.
Everton (2-3-5): George Burnett, George Jackson,Norman  Greenhalgh, Jack Grant, Joe Mercer (C), Gordon Watson, Eddie Wainwright, Torry Gillick, Tommy Lawton, Alex Stevenson, Jimmy McIntosh (Preston North End).
Liverpool (2-3-5): Alf Hobson, Jack Westby (Blackburn Rovers), Jeff Gulliver (Reading), Matt Busby (C), Laurie Hughes, Harry Kaye, Jack Campbell, Berry Nieuwenhuys, Billy Liddell, Don Welsh (Charlton Athletic), Horace Cumner (Arsenal).
The goal: 0-1 Liddell (73 min.).

The match programme.
1944 EFC programme

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.