April 3, 1945
For 46 years a ship was used as a church in Liverpool. This was the “Mariners’ Church,” and it lay in George’s Dock until it sank there in June, 1872.
The vessel was originally the “Tees,” the Government guardship of St. Helena. She brought Princess Carolina to England before the Princess’s marriage to King George IV.
The ship was transformed into a church in 1826 and had accommodation for 1,000 people. The services were specially adapted for seamen.
(Evening Express: April 3, 1945)