Liverpool v Chesterfield 2-2 (League match: December 22, 1945)

December 22, 1945
Key note: “Liverpool once again found the Chesterfield defence a hard nut to crack, and that they took a half share of the points was entirely due to the opportunism of Liddell, the one man likely to bring about the downfall of a well packed and skilful defence. The Anfielders started off like world beaters and one imagined a big goal crop, for Liverpool opened like lions, sweeping everything before them, but he form was not maintained and at the end they had to battle to pull the game out of the fire, for Chesterfield held the goal lead up to the hour and appeared capable of holding it. There was no power from the three inside men for neither Balmer, nor Taylor showed any fight against the Chesterfield rear-guards and the longer the day progressed the less effective they became, nor was there that solidity in defence one usually associates with Liverpool. It was left to Liddell to pluck the brand from the burning. The Scottish international was the only one capable of upsetting the plans of Milburn and company, and his opening goal was typical of him. Even so capable a goalkeeper as Middleton could not keep the fast drive from finding the net at the seventh minute. It was a grand goal, but the ovation which greeted it died out a minute later when a defensive misunderstanding between Westby and Nickson let in Goodfellow to score the equaliser. Chesterfield’s football was not confined to defensive measures for they attacked with clever football, which had the Liverpool defence striving manfully to avert disaster, but at fifteen minutes Nickson misjudged the flight of a Roberts centre which curled into the net. The Liverpool goalkeeper may have thought the ball was going out, but should have been prepared for such an eventuality. Chesterfield was half a yard faster than Liverpool and their sweeping play often had the Liverpool defenders in quandary. Midway through the second half Liddell took over at centre forward, and the change produced a goal almost immediately. Priday, Liverpool’s new South African winger had not shown any particular brilliance because of the attention of Milburn, yet it was him who swept over a nicely bladed centre which Liddell headed into the net. Nickson made several fine catches and Middelton had to keep careful watch when Liddell was about, but no further scoring too place. Kaye suffered a head injury, and Balmer was limping on the wing. A draw perhaps was a true result.” (Liverpool Daily Post: December 24, 1945)

Match: Football League, Northern Section, at Anfield, kick-off: 14:15.
Liverpool – Chesterfield 2-2 (1-2).
Attendance: 29,274.
Referee: Mr. W. Martin (Leeds); linesmen: Messrs. R. Yeomans (Hanley) and A. Sykes (Rishton).
Liverpool (2-3-5): Harry Nickson; Jack Westby, Ray Lambert; Harry Kaye, Laurie Hughes, Bob Paisley; Billy Liddell, Phil Taylor, Jack Easdale, Jack Balmer, Bob Priday.
Chesterfield (2-3-5): Ray Middleton; George Milburn, Billy Kidd; Allen Pringle, Billy Whittaker, Leo Hobson; Robert Sinclair, William Hart, Syd Goodfellow, Jock Wilson, Harold Roberts.
The goals: 1-0 Liddell (7 min.), 1-1 Goodfellow (8 min.), 1-2 Roberts (15 min.), 2-2 Liddell (70 min.).


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.