Sheffield United v Liverpool 0-1 (League match: August 31, 1946)

August 31, 1946
Key note: “In football, as in law, a good defence can get you almost anywhere. Thus, Liverpool, overplayed and threatened with a father and mother beating at Sheffield hung on gamely until two minutes from the end. At this point the amateur Leonard Carney put his golden head to a Nieuwenhuys centre and, presto, Liverpool were winners. Luck, perhaps, but typical of Liverpool. Most of the game was United attack v. Liverpool defence. Sheffield, all speed flurry and confidence had the Liverpool defence chasing them for inordinately long spells. It was usually a chase in which the Liverpool man “hailed” his opponent in the end. Without Hagan to calm them and give them studious lines to goal, United were fiery fritterers of speedily made openings. If they had a shot in their boots they must have laced up with extraordinary lightness. Their sheer speed may disconcert the best of defences, but it will not win them matches until they temper it with the thoughtful near-goal move.” (Liverpool Daily Post: August 31, 1946)

Match: Football League, First Division, at Bramall Lane, kick off: 15:00.
Sheffield United – Liverpool 0-1 (0-0).
Attendance: 28,296.
Referee: Mr. H.T. Wright linesmen: A Blackburn, T H Briddon.
Sheffield United (2-3-5): Jack Smith, Fred Furniss, Eddie Shimwell, Stan Machent, Harry Latham, Alex Forbes, Walter Rickett, Albert Nighingale, Colin Colindridge, Harold Brook, George Jones.
Liverpool (2-3-5): Cyril Sidlow, Jim Harley, Bernard Ramsden, Phil Taylor, Laurie Hughes, Eddie Spicer, Berry Nieuwenhuys, Jack Balmer, Bill Jones, Len Carney, Bob Priday.
The goal: 0-1 Carney (88 min.).


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.