Beaten in the season opener at Turf Moor

Saturday, August 20 – 1949
Reserves, Central League, at Turf Moor.
Burnley Reserves – Liverpool Reserves 3-1 (1-1).
Attendance: 12,650.
Referee: C. Clark (Cheshire).
Burnley Reserves (2-3-5): Ron Meadows; Arthur Woodruff, Reg Kirkham; Harry Spencer, Eric Binns, Harry Rudman; Tommy Henderson, Jack Spencer, Alf Clarke, Liam O’Neil, Ian Wilson.
Liverpool Reserves (2-3-5): Ray Minshull; Dick White, Steve Parr; Laurie Hughes, Joe Cadden, Bryan Williams; Kenny Swift, Robert Williams, Tommy McLeod, Frank Christie, Peter Kippax.
The goals: 1-0 J. Spencer (25 min.), 1-1 Christie (37 min.), 2-1 Wilson, 3-1 Clarke (79 min.).

The championship look was still with Burnley Reserves as they left the field after decisively beating Liverpool, last year’s runners-up, by three goals to one, at Turf Moor, on Saturday, before a 12,650 crowd.

Played at top speed in the sweltering heat the game showed the Clarets to be a well-knit football combination with a speedy attack and competent defence.

Outstanding in a cohesive forward line were inside forwards Jack Spencer and Liam O’Neil, who never wasted a ball. O’Neil’s passes, both through the middle and on to the wings, were directed with precision and skill.

Jack Spencer opened the scoring after 25 minutes in typical style, shooting across the Liverpool goal into the far corner after receiving from O’Neil.

The Irishman was also the instigator of the move that brought Burnley’s second after Liverpool had evened matters by a goal from Christie eight minutes from the interval. O’Neil-Henderson-Wilson was he plan that ended in a corner, and Wilson scored straight from the right winger’s cross.

Kippax, on Liverpool’s left, showed something of his former brilliance with occasional runs, and he had a hand in his team’s goal. Woodruff, however, was not unduly troubled, although he kicked badly at times.

O’Neil delighted with his use of the ball, and combined well with Wilson.

After 79 minutes Clarke got the third goal – a well-deserved one-to “cap” a hard game. He bear Cadden and dodged round the goalkeeper to trickle the ball into the net after receiving from O’Neil.

White saved Liverpool twice in exciting style.
(Burnley Express, 24-08-1949)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.