January 8, 1955
Mr. Fred Geary, a famous Everton centre-forward of more than 60 years ago, died this morning at 69 Sunnyside Road, Great Crosby. He would have been 87 in a fortnight’s time.
A native of Nottingham, Fred Geary was spotted by Everton when he was playing for Notts Ranger and signed for the Goodison Park club in 1888 when he was 20. He was capped for England against Ireland in 1890 and against Scotland the following year, and was the proud possessor of the first gold medal struck for an England representative eleven. It was awarded for the Inter League game against Scotland which England won 4-3 in 1893.
After several seasons with Everton, Mr. Geary was transferred to Liverpool when that club was formed and he ended his playing days at Anfield. What was probably his last appearance before the football public was at Anfield in 1946. Aston Villa were the visitors that day and before the match Mr. Geary presented to Villa the ball used in the 1897 F.A Cup Final when Villa beat Everton 3-2.
In later years Mr. Geary made a name for himself in bowling circles and played for Lancashire in county matches along with his two son’s Lawrence and Fred.
Associated with the licensing trade for more than half a century he was for 28 years licensee of the Stanley Arms, Westminster Road, before going to the Fountain’s Abbey, Walton Road, Liverpool.
He retired in 1946. Mr. Geary celebrated his golden wedding in September 1951 and is survived by his widow who is 83. He also leaves two daughters.
(Source: Liverpool Echo: January 8, 1955)
Liverpool Echo: January 10, 1955: