Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool 1-1 (League match: February 13, 1960)

February 13, 1960
Key note: “A good point for Liverpool from a hard, tense, often exciting and always entertaining match. They could have won if they had shot more regularly, for it was this reluctance which robbed them of full reward in the long period of supremacy they had in the second half. It came immediately after half-time and the Plymouth goal was the scene of several scrambles due to Liverpool’s mistaken policy of taking the ball too close, instead of trying a shot before the defence had time to take covering positions. In the finish Liverpool had to contend with a revived Argyle and if Liverpool could claim to be unfortunate when Fulton headed off the line from Hunt with only a couple of minutes left. It had to be remembered that former Everton centre forward Kirkby had previously somehow put his header past the wrong side of the post from about four yards out. A draw was perhaps the fairest result because Plymouth had one or two good spells and missed more chances.” (Liverpool Daily Post: February 15, 1960)

“Roger Hunt, the young Liverpool inside forward, travelled in an aircraft for the first time in his life when he flew with the party for the match at Plymouth Argyle on Saturday. Little more than 24 hours after the landing at Exeter Airport, and with only a minute or so remaining of the game at Home Park, he flew through the air again, this time to reach a centre from left winger Alan A’Court. He did is effectively that he actually headed the ball out of goalkeeper Barnsley’s hands and it was on the way to the net when full back Fulton somehow headed it off the line.” (Liverpool Echo: February 15, 1960)

Match: Football League, Second Division, at Home Park, kick-off: 15:15.
Plymouth Argyle – Liverpool 1-1 (1-1).
Attendance: 16,996.
Referee: Mr. C. Kingston.
Plymouth (2-3-5): Geoff Barnsley, George Robertson, Bryce Fulton, Johnny Williams, Gordon Fincham, John Newman, Harry Penk, Wilf Carter, George Kirby, Jim McAnearney, Peter Anderson.
Liverpool (2-3-5): Bert Slater, John Molyneux, Ronnie Moran, Johnny Wheeler, Dick White, Tommy Leishman, Billy Liddell, Roger Hunt, Dave Hickson, Jimmy Harrower, Alan A’Court.
The goals: 0-1 Hickson (32 min., assist: Hunt), 1-1 Carter (42 min.).


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.