Crystal Palace v Liverpool 1-3 (League match: August 27, 1969)

August 27, 1969
Match: Football League, 1st Division, at Selhurst Park, kick-off: 19:30.
Crystal Palace – Liverpool 1-3 (0-1).
Attendance: 36,639.
Referee: Mr. T.E. Dawes.
Crystal Palace: Cliff Jackson, John Sewell, John Loughlan, Roger Hoy, John McCormick, Roger Hynd, Anthony Taylor, Steve Kember, Per Bartram, Robert William Woodruff, Mel Blyth. (Unused sub: Phil Hoadley).
Liverpool: Tommy Lawrence, Chris Lawler, Geoff Strong, Tommy Smith, Ron Yeats (C), Emlyn Hughes, Ian Callaghan, Roger Hunt, Bobby Graham, Ian St John, Peter Thompson. (Unused sub: Ian Ross).
The goals: 0-1 Hughes (35 min.), 1-1 Sewell (50 min.), 1-2 Hunt (72 min.), 1-3 Thompson (77 min.).

Palace ‘keeper slips up twice
Crystal Palace won everything but this game against Liverpool’s star-gleaming team last night. The score looks as though Crystal Palace were easily brushed aside. They were certainly not.

The evidence in favour of this stirring, adult Palace performance is given by Liverpool manager Bill Shankly. He said: “I don’t want to have any more tough moments like had tonight. This Palace team gave is an awkward, hard game.”

They did more than that. In this impeccable clean, hard fast match Palace often robbed Liverpool of their poised dignity.

When the final assessment is made it must be admitted that Liverpool won because Palace goalkeeper John Jackson twice tossed away his Stonewall Jackson title and permitted easy goals after making many memorable saves.

In a canny first half it was Palace who struck first when Per Bartram had massive Tommy Lawrence grovelling for the ball after 20 minutes. A minute later Ian Callaghan, always a Liverpool threat, looked certain to score. But John Sewell calmly kicked the ball of the line.

It looked as though Palace must crumble when Liverpool scored after 35 minutes. Emlyn Hughes – and what a brilliant player this young man is – blasted in a shot from 30 yards.

Palace shattered? Not London likely. Within three minutes giant Ron Yeats headed off the line from Bartram. Yeats passed back to casually. Bartram, unmarked, picked up this chance and tore towards goal. Lawrence stormed frantically out of his goal area to punch the ball. From the free kick Sewell rifled a shot into a Liverpool defence that looked beyond penetration. But the ball went into the top corner of the goal.

After 72 minutes Roger Hunt scored a simple goal. A long cross by Callaghan from the ill-lit right wing beat Jackson. Hunt needed only a simple nod to put the ball into goal.

Thirteen minutes from the end Geoff Strong put a midfield free kick to wondrous winger Peter Thompson. Thompson linked, swerved and his shot, from 45 yards trickled incredibly slowly past Jackson.
(Daily Express, 28-08-1969)

Peter Thompson.
peter thompson

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.