August 25, 1928
The first roofed-in Kop in the country.
It is 425 feet long by 131 feet wide, and is 80 feet high.
A new stand in entirety, only the cinder hill beneath the centre portion and three post-war concrete staircases now remain of the old Kop of two years ago.
Two thirds of its possible 28,000 spectators can see the game without a single intervening stanchion.
The cost is greatly increased thereby, but so is the efficiency, and the pleasure of the one shilling spectators and supporter of the Club.
No other ground offers 45,000 of its accommodation, all under cover, at one shilling fare.
The outside walls and six internal stanchions of the Kop carry 45,500 sq. feet of roof, over one acre; under which 91 subsidy houses of standard type could be packed together in on layer.
The length of one truss and cantilever is 131 feet, second comes those of West Ham United at 100, and at Everton 55 feet.
The cantilever alone is a 51 feet overhang, compared to 38 at West Ham, 25 at Leicester, 15 at Everton.
The Warren Girders are 90 feet by 16 feet high, weighing 15 tons, West Ham United are 81 by 11. Everton are 98 by 8, weighing about 8 tons.
The roof covers right down to the grass line as all modern roofs should do – but sometimes do not.
The internal stanchions are carried down 25 feet below the Kop steps and two feet into the rock bedded in 11 feet square concrete bases. This buried 25 feet of stanchion is erased in a heavy reinforced concrete grip, especially at the rock and the Kop steps level.
Just as an umbrella is gripped in the wind so do these bases act and carry a total load raised to 230 tons each in a gale; on this most elevated and exposed site in the city.
The roof glazing is wire-worn so that the spectators below are protected from broken glass, caused either by wind or the ubiquitous small boy.
36,000 cubic feet of concrete have been used in the new stand.
If the steps of “Spion Kop” were to be strung out in a line, that line would be longer than the length of the Liverpool Docks.
In addition, the grand stand has been extended to hold an additional 600 seats, and Kemlyn Road stand 200, both under the Kop roof.
Two bays of the grand stand roof have been raised up 5 feet to enable the Kop spectators to see beneath it.
Later on, when the conveniences on Walton Breck Road are placed on the level in the Kop, and a neat row of white cement shops take their place, efficiency and appearance will move forward again with a bound.
The architect and supervision of the new stand is Mr. J. Watson Cabre, Great Crosby.
(Source: Joint Everton and Liverpool Match Programme: August 25, 1928)